Egg Squat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by babowman3, Nov 11, 2013.

1. babowman3

babowman3 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was visiting my girls today. 2 Buff Orp, 4 Golden Buffs (cinnamon queen, red sex link, red star), 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Easter Eggers. One of the Golden Buffs squatted down to the ground when I went to pet her. Is this the "egg squat" I've been reading about? They are 15 weeks old. Her comb is slightly more red than the others, but it's not bright red. My orps combs are still so pale. And the Barred Rocks are in the middle. Could I expect an egg soon from her? I hope so! This is her in the middle. The red one! :) [​IMG]

2. babowman3

Oh! But the barred rocks have taken a big interest in the nest box! Sometimes I go out there and they are just hanging out in the nest box!

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    If they're squatting, they're close. They do look rather pale, but they can redden up fast. Give it a couple of weeks, but you should see a first egg soon.

4. babowman3

Thank you for the reply! Today she squatted all the way to the ground when I put my hand on her. Another Golden Buff goes halfway down and one of the Orps acted like she wanted to. Luckily I'm a night shifter and won't bother them all day checking the nest boxes! Ha! Hope by Christmas I'll have some fresh eggs for baking! :)

5. YlwBrchHobbyFrm

YlwBrchHobbyFrm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    Minnesota
    Yep! A sure sign :) What fun it will be to check the nest boxes over the next couple of weeks :) Enjoy!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by