Egg stamp

EngeFamilyFarms

Chirping
Aug 29, 2018
Michigan
hi everyone, I was thinking about getting my wife a customized egg stamp kit for Christmas with our farms name on it. Just before ordering, I read an article about how the rubber stamps, even with food safe ink is dangerous to use on eggs. Does anyone have experience or knowledge on this topic? Thanks for the help!

hi everyone, I was thinking about getting my wife a customized egg stamp kit for Christmas with our farms name on it. Just before ordering, I read an article about how the rubber stamps, even with food safe ink is dangerous to use on eggs. Does anyone have experience or knowledge on this topic? Thanks for the help!

Well, who wrote the article and from what perspective? It could be a very uneducated (with regards to foods and inks) person that is spouting an idea, but not based on knowledge or facts. And if they are writing from an educated point of view, then why did they say they were bad?

My guess is that there is a fear of the ink going through the shell. If these are FD&C colors, then the "F" means they are approved for food (D for use in drugs, and C for use in cosmetics). Also, food colors are rigorously tested by batch. A quick google search led to foodsafety.gov. and there are some links relating to color, testing, and common questions. The US has one of the safest food supplies in the world (not perfect, of course), and using a stamp with a food safe dye would not concern me. However, I would make sure it was an FD&C color, and not, say, a product from another country that does not have as stringent of regs, being sold for cheap on a random website.

You could also if this concerns you buy her a stamp for plain egg cartons if she sells eggs or gives them as gifts that is personalized. Stickers are available as well. You can find all these products on Amazon. I bought a stamp for cartons.

On a side note, my spouse and I have laughingly discussed getting a stamp for our eggs if my mom ever comes to visit (older and lives far away and does not like traveling alone). She first wondered *why* we got chickens then stated if she ever visited she would have to buy her own eggs (specifically Eggland's best). When asked why she would need to buy eggs she said "I'm 80 and I've always bought eggs at the store and I'm too old to change" - LOL! Totally her and she's totally a big-city-girl. So of course, we figured getting a "EB" style stamp like on Eggland's best, but instead using the first letter of our last name in place of the E would be a good natured joke on her. She *might* even try our home grown eggs at that point.

I noticed you are from Michigan, where in Michigan? I am originally from Traverse City but have been in Florida most of my life.

Food grade ink is safe, and anyway will not normally penetrate right through the shell to the egg. It is quite pricey (relative to other inks) but a little goes a very long way!

Back
Top Bottom