Egg Stealing Chicken!

yoie

Songster
Jan 28, 2011
Easternshore of Maryland
One of hens has decided that all the eggs are hers! Every time someone lays an egg she steals it and sits on it. She is even sitting on the dummy plastic eggs! I am guessing she is a broody in the making? She lets me take the eggs from her without a fuss, since we really want to eat them and not ready for the chicks
roll.png

My broodies do that. Right now I have five broodies and they steal eggs all day long or end up sitting on the thermostat box or each other - six nesting boxes and sometimes there are three in one box. One gets up and somebody else will go steal the eggs. Then I go collect them all and they start all over again because we aren't hatching anything either.

deb g

today i was in my coop sitting down. i put some eggs under my leg, and a rir steals the eggs!
gig.gif
i take take an egg back under my leg and she steals it again! but shes not broody. she steals them and leaves them.

I enjoy'd placing a fake ceramic Egg near to my broody CoChins to watch them obtain it by Beak and remove it to under their Sets. Good test of a potentiall Broody; my relaxt Layers would never. Alwauys ignored such Come-Ons by me.

Back
Top Bottom