Egg stepped on and broken, chick still alive!

EdnaAndEdith

Songster
8 Years
Mar 31, 2016
Hi. I went out to check on my broody and her one chick that has hatched and found that one of the eggs appeared to be squished like one of the birds had stepped on it. There’s quite a bit of blood in the shell but what I can see of the chick appears normal and it is breathing regularly. It was fairly cold and only half under mom. I grabbed it up and have it inside on a heat pad with blankets insulating it. I moistened the membrane with a warm damp rag. It will move when I rock it or touch its head but isn’t doing much of anything else. What next?

Attachments

• 5C382DE1-53A2-47B5-AF16-B8EF25AC1934.jpeg
    5C382DE1-53A2-47B5-AF16-B8EF25AC1934.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 59
That looks like a lot of blood to me... There isn't much you can do but make sure that you keep it warm for now.

Make sure you don't overheat it either.

Can you tell if it has already absorbed the yolk sac?

Kiki if you look closer at the bottom where the yolk sac there's veining underneath there I don't think he's ready to come out yet I think should wrap the chick up a little bit keep him moist and warm and try not to move him until he absorbs it I looked really close. But I'm not sure

Here’s some more pictures. Its pretty lively now. Moving its wing and opened an eye a crack for a second. Can you experienced folks tell about the yolk sac?

Attachments

• 71896F07-3022-404C-946D-E5953D91F1C3.jpeg
    71896F07-3022-404C-946D-E5953D91F1C3.jpeg
    408.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 761FB42F-B499-4B6B-A28C-19E162ED65C5.jpeg
    761FB42F-B499-4B6B-A28C-19E162ED65C5.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 30
I don't know I there's no membrane on top need to try and keep him still and comfortable before he comes out If he has movement to move his wings I'm nervous he might pop out you said you have a heating pad underneath him. Maybe he needs to be warm around the top of him but let his head stick out so he doesn't get cold and want to try to get out maybe put the heating pad cuddled against him so he gets more warmth on the top so maybe he'll relax and fall asleep so he can absorb it That's the best thing I can think of.

I took a warm moist paper towel and wrapped it sort of snug around its body leaving the beak and head more out then the rest of the body/egg, wrapped that in a double layer of thin fleece (to make sure it doesn’t get too hot) then put half the heat pad under and folded the other half over so it will be warm on top too. Then I put the whole bundle in a cat carrier so it won’t get moved and stimulated. Hope it falls asleep but it has been cheeping every few minutes so far. Ugh! Thank you so very much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom