Egg storage for a fall hatch

telandra2

Songster
Apr 29, 2021
Spokane, WA
I will be moving across the US in August and probably shouldn't/can't bring my geese with me. I was wondering if I can bring their eggs instead and hatch them when I arrive. Does anyone have experience or tips storing eggs for a fall hatch? I've read the chicken threads but am not sure how much applies with the thicker shells, likely longer storage time, etc.

Im so sorry but the longest you can keep a egg is for a few weeks after 7 days the loose moisture weight and viability. No matter what you do the shell will continue to breath. Broiler hatchery's have done tons of study's on how to preserve a egg for later hatching. But the best I saw was with results was 24 days and then they lost a huge percentage of the hatch and the heath of the chicks were not good.

Im so sorry but the longest you can keep a egg is for a few weeks after 7 days the loose moisture weight and viability.

Dang. I think that'd rule out transporting day old babies like hatcheries too.

How long will it take to get there? Flying or driving? If they're fresh eggs, a cross country trip will reduce viability but you should get a few hatches.

40ish hours driving time -- Coast to Coast. I can do fresh eggs for the ducks, not geese. Dog in the car, so live birds will be extra challenging. I was thinking maybe a trailer, but things got pushed to August. Possibly staying at horse hauler stops and letting the rest in a stall, but I think I'd have to worry about importing laws for every place I stopped not just the arrival state if I did that. NPIP cert looks like it needs 30 birds and I don't have that many. Hmm.....I don't want them to be dinner :(.

I will be moving across the US in August and probably shouldn't/can't bring my geese with me. I was wondering if I can bring their eggs instead and hatch them when I arrive. Does anyone have experience or tips storing eggs for a fall hatch? I've read the chicken threads but am not sure how much applies with the thicker shells, likely longer storage time, etc.
You might look into renting a horse trailer or a UHaul van for your birds. I’ve heard of people renting UHauls to move horses but I wouldn’t suggest using a trailer or box truck if you’re moving them cross country in August “heat + poor ventilation = death.”

Dang. I think that'd rule out transporting day old babies like hatcheries too.

40ish hours driving time -- Coast to Coast. I can do fresh eggs for the ducks, not geese. Dog in the car, so live birds will be extra challenging. I was thinking maybe a trailer, but things got pushed to August. Possibly staying at horse hauler stops and letting the rest in a stall, but I think I'd have to worry about importing laws for every place I stopped not just the arrival state if I did that. NPIP cert looks like it needs 30 birds and I don't have that many. Hmm.....I don't want them to be dinner :(.
You dont have to have 30 birds for NPIP. if you have less they just test all your birds you have. Most states will except a vet certificate on adult birds. You can usually find a local livestock vet to do that. Call the state vet office of the state you are moving to ask what there requirements are. Also maybe I mis understood do you have geese that lay in august

Last edited:
While not coast to coast (although I've hauled my horses from Utah to Florida and back again, so I know the drive), I have hauled a large number of geese from Cali coast to Utah in a livestock trailer. I also had a few youngsters in kennels in my suv. They did just fine. Was able to get Cali vet to provide health certs to show at state borders. Another option to check is uship.com. I believe they ship all types of pets. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom