Egg storage question

tweetzone86

Songster
Jul 23, 2018
Kootenai County, ID
Hello all!

Question about egg storage. I know that unwashed eggs are good outside of the fridge, but I'm running low on space.

I've put them in the fridge partially out of habit when collecting, and my grandma wants to buy some. She's 35 miles away and there's construction between here and there that may slow us down even more.

So if unwashed eggs have been in cartons in the fridge, are they safe to take out again to transport elsewhere? I guess I'm wondering if the cuticle/bloom that's still on it would work still even though it's been refrigerated?

Thanks!

They're not washed. I don't wash them til literally as I'm cracking them to cook. I just put them in the fridge out of habit. Does the cold temps of the fridge ruin the cuticle/bloom/outer layer?
I really don't know. theoretically no, but my point of the cooler is to keep them cool enough that they don't suck in external bacteria. As long as you can make the road trip and keep them under 50* you should be just fine. Deliver them and pop them in the fridge.

I would like to take this question in another direction. If you have refrigerated unwashed eggs can you then store them on the counter without spoilage, day for a week?

It's not a practice that I would encourage. The general thought process is to either refrigerate or not. Or in my case, when my eggs are getting older than I like on the counter, I'll refrigerate to extend their shelf life. Taking them out of the fridge and letting them warm up to room temp has the potential for bacteria to enter the egg. Doesn't mean it will and doesn't mean the egg will go bad quickly even if it does. Odds are they would be fine, but not something I would do. If an egg goes bad, there'll be no doubt in your mind when you crack it that its bad.

Back
Top Bottom