1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Egg storage question

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by mame1616, Jun 17, 2010.

1. mame1616

mame1616 Songster

Jan 30, 2008
    Middletown, NJ
    Hi - Don't know if I'm in the right forum for this, but...

I've always been told NOT to wash my eggs until I use them - even if they are really dirty - because of the bloom on the shell. In the new issue of Chickens Magazine there is a small section on page 7 saying they should be washed before storage. Which is right? What do you do? I'm giving a talk at my local library on keeping chickens, and I would hate to give out the wrong information. Thanks all!!

2. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    You will be a ton of different answers to this question. [​IMG]

I can tell you that if my eggs are not dirty they go straight in the carton. If there is something one them that can come off with a damp paper towel I'll use that. But if they have poop or mud on them I will rinse them off. I NEVER soak them just get everything off and let them air dry for a while and they go immediatly in the fridge!..

Missi

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:That you will so you'll have to ultimately decide for yourself.

I wash all of my eggs by first pouring hot soapy water over them (they're in a free draining basket) then wiping them clean under warm running water. Into another basket to drain before I dry them to put in the cartons. Use water at least 20 degrees warmer than the eggs.

4. BettyR

BettyR Songster

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:I treat my eggs the exact same way.

5. dipence71

dipence71 Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL

yep that's what I do. Most of the time lately(with all the rain we have) they have allot of mud on them so I scrub the mud off and dry, then to the carton.
    Clean straight to the carton.

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I wash the nasties off of the eggs if needed before I put the in a carton, and try not to mess with the eggs that are clean straight from the coop. So I fit in with the way that the other posters are doing.

7. mame1616

mame1616 Songster

Jan 30, 2008
    Middletown, NJ

yep that's what I do.

Well, good to know, everyone! That's how I do it, too. I feel much better know - Thanks so much!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by