Egg storage question

mame1616

Songster
11 Years
Jan 30, 2008
Middletown, NJ
Hi - Don't know if I'm in the right forum for this, but...

I've always been told NOT to wash my eggs until I use them - even if they are really dirty - because of the bloom on the shell. In the new issue of Chickens Magazine there is a small section on page 7 saying they should be washed before storage. Which is right? What do you do? I'm giving a talk at my local library on keeping chickens, and I would hate to give out the wrong information. Thanks all!!

You will be a ton of different answers to this question.
yippiechickie.gif

I can tell you that if my eggs are not dirty they go straight in the carton. If there is something one them that can come off with a damp paper towel I'll use that. But if they have poop or mud on them I will rinse them off. I NEVER soak them just get everything off and let them air dry for a while and they go immediatly in the fridge!..

Missi

Quote:
That you will so you'll have to ultimately decide for yourself.

I wash all of my eggs by first pouring hot soapy water over them (they're in a free draining basket) then wiping them clean under warm running water. Into another basket to drain before I dry them to put in the cartons. Use water at least 20 degrees warmer than the eggs.

Quote:
I treat my eggs the exact same way.

yep that's what I do. Most of the time lately(with all the rain we have) they have allot of mud on them so I scrub the mud off and dry, then to the carton.
Clean straight to the carton.

I wash the nasties off of the eggs if needed before I put the in a carton, and try not to mess with the eggs that are clean straight from the coop. So I fit in with the way that the other posters are doing.

Quote:
I treat my eggs the exact same way.

yep that's what I do.

Well, good to know, everyone! That's how I do it, too. I feel much better know - Thanks so much!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom