Egg storage

Unfortunately, I don't. I've been using a 2-gallon bucket each year and that is sufficient for my purposes: 3 hens feeding 1 person over the winter. I've never bothered to count how many eggs that is, but it is several dozen.

One thing that I recommend for newbies. You will likely have a higher loss rate (commonly 10%) in the first year as you learn the process. If you are uncomfortable and don't want to dive into the deep end, then start with a smaller container and put in some eggs. Store them for a month or more on a shelf or counter top and then try them out. Once you become more comfortable with the process then you can really dive in next time.
I found some of the videos on this procedure. Thanks so much for the information. I have been wanting to preserve my eggs as I eat two for breakfast every morning and miss them to much in the winter time. I got 7 eggs yesterday from my 6 hens. Right now I am giving them away but would love to keep some for the winter. My only problem is that my duck eggs are not perfectly clean, maybe just a dot or two of dirt on them so I don't know if I can still do this or not. Thanks so much for your input.

I found some of the videos on this procedure. Thanks so much for the information. I have been wanting to preserve my eggs as I eat two for breakfast every morning and miss them to much in the winter time. I got 7 eggs yesterday from my 6 hens. Right now I am giving them away but would love to keep some for the winter. My only problem is that my duck eggs are not perfectly clean, maybe just a dot or two of dirt on them so I don't know if I can still do this or not. Thanks so much for your input.
Yeah. Duck eggs can theoretically be stored this way, but the problem is that it is harder to get clean ones. There are other methods to store eggs- freezing is the only other one I would seriously consider and might be the best option for eggs that can't be preserved using water-glassing: duck eggs, dirty eggs, store-bought, etc. My freezer space is at a premium, so that is why I ended up on water-glassing.

I can tell you that 2 gallons will not give you enough for 2 eggs/day in the winter. You will want more ideally (4 gallons?).

Last edited:
Yeah. Duck eggs can theoretically be stored this way, but the problem is that it is harder to get clean ones. There are other methods to store eggs- freezing is the only other one I would seriously consider and might be the best option for eggs that can't be preserved using water-glassing: duck eggs, dirty eggs, store-bought, etc. My freezer space is at a premium, so that is why I ended up on water-glassing.

I can tell you that 2 gallons will not give you enough for 2 eggs/day in the winter. You will want more ideally (4 gallons?).
Thanks for the information. I would like to freeze some in small freezer bags, two at a time and then try to fry them up but I am not sure how that will work. I eat mine fried really well with no yolk as otherwise we seem to get a belly ache from them. I love them though so I was looking for good options. I would need to find a four gallon food safe container in order to do this but I would sure like to try it. If only I could convince my ducks to keep those eggs clean, lol. I don't close them up at night as they have several different places to go if they feel the need. They have a large pen that they love covered with a sand bottom. I am just now replacing all of the sand and my back is surely feeling it. I do love those 12 though so hopefully I can come up with a good solution. I did get a Khaki Campbell female that is supposed to lay more than the usual ducks and my others layed until November last year and started back up in March so that wasn't too bad. I sure did miss those eggs though.

Normally, frozen eggs are stored scrambled from what I've seen. I'd recommend a little research as I really haven't been using that method.

You could store only whites if that is what you prefer. You can then put them into whatever size bag or container you want. Single serving bags might be convenient, but you might want to consider a larger bag/container that would hold say 4-7 days worth that you can defrost and use over the next few days. I wouldn't even consider a single 4 gallon container. That would be difficult to handle and you would likely need to defrost the whole mass at once.

Last edited:
Normally, frozen eggs are stored scrambled from what I've seen. You could store only whites if that is what you prefer. You can then put them into whatever size bag or container you want. Single serving bags might be convenient, but you might want to consider a larger bag/container that would hold say 4-7 days worth that you can defrost and use over the next few days.
We freeze here too, scramble up two eggs and put in a silicone baking cup and freeze. once frozen pup them into a gallon freezer bag and take out as needed. They do start to thaw immediately so working quick when moving from baking cups, to storage bag, to freezer is a must.

Normally, frozen eggs are stored scrambled from what I've seen. You could store only whites if that is what you prefer. You can then put them into whatever size bag or container you want. Single serving bags might be convenient, but you might want to consider a larger bag/container that would hold say 4-7 days worth that you can defrost and use over the next few days.
Thanks for the advice. I am the unusual person though that would prefer the yolks actually to the whites. I too have seen to scramble them. I don't know why though as I thought in my little mind that a whole egg would freeze just fine outside of the shell.

I also preserve eggs this way. I do them in gallon glass canning jars. we mainly use the eggs for baking in the winter and the occasional scrambled egg meal. I keep mine between 6-12 months depending on how many I can put up and how much baking I do :)
I will have to try to find these gallon jars if I can find some clean eggs. Are your eggs absolutely spotless? Mine are oftentimes 99% with one speck of dirt or poo on them.

I will have to try to find these gallon jars if I can find some clean eggs. Are your eggs absolutely spotless? Mine are oftentimes 99% with one speck of dirt or poo on them.
Also how long can you collect them before actually doing the water method? Thanks for your help, I appreciate it very much.

Back
Top Bottom