Egg storage

I am very interested in this procedure and sorry to not be able to understand it all. How many eggs will fit into the quart jar and what keeps the water from coming out since the eggs weight. Sorry to not understand. I would love eggs all winter long.

Think of the quart of water as a ratio, not a limit on your container size.

Use 1 oz. by weight of hydrated lime (or pickling lime, same thing) per one quart of water.

So if you are making up a gallon of lime water, you'd use 4 oz. by weight of hydrated lime. In whatever container you choose to use, just make sure your eggs have about an inch or two of lime water above the top of the eggs. Your total lime water will vary depending on what size container you use.

I started water glassing eggs this year. We are a large family and go through 3.5-4.5 doz. eggs weekly, and with baking during the holidays, more than that.

Our hens did lay through the winter, but we were getting 17-20 ish eggs per week, but I had to buy lots to make up the difference.

Gallon jars are running around $14, and any food-safe bucket or container will do, so I found 'fish bins' with lids for about $2 each at a local fish restaurant. They're made to hold 25 lbs. of fish, and I can put about 4 doz. eggs in without stacking them, limiting risk of breakage. I think I have about 1.5 - 2.5 gallons of lime water per container - I don't really remember. I just mixed enough lime water to properly cover the eggs.

As I fill more bins, I can stack them. I've dated and labeled them, and labeled the 'older' end and the 'newer' end, so I know which eggs to take first.

1656822725438.png

There are some bakeries that will give away for free or sell their frosting buckets for a good price. Keep in mind that the bigger the container, the heavier and harder to move around it will be, and the deeper you stack eggs, the greater the risk of breakage and contamination of the whole bucket.

I'll be interested to see how this goes. If it goes well, I'll definitely start earlier next Spring, when the hens are laying gobs of eggs. They're still laying well, but have slowed down a bit, and we're eating most of what they lay now.

YouTube has lots of how-to videos on water glassing eggs. Two of the most helpful ones I watched were these:
  • (good, short version)

• (much more detail, and she's a hoot!)

Hope that helps!

Think of the quart of water as a ratio, not a limit on your container size.

Use 1 oz. by weight of hydrated lime (or pickling lime, same thing) per one quart of water.

So if you are making up a gallon of lime water, you'd use 4 oz. by weight of hydrated lime. In whatever container you choose to use, just make sure your eggs have about an inch or two of lime water above the top of the eggs. Your total lime water will vary depending on what size container you use.

I started water glassing eggs this year. We are a large family and go through 3.5-4.5 doz. eggs weekly, and with baking during the holidays, more than that.

Our hens did lay through the winter, but we were getting 17-20 ish eggs per week, but I had to buy lots to make up the difference.

Gallon jars are running around $14, and any food-safe bucket or container will do, so I found 'fish bins' with lids for about $2 each at a local fish restaurant. They're made to hold 25 lbs. of fish, and I can put about 4 doz. eggs in without stacking them, limiting risk of breakage. I think I have about 1.5 - 2.5 gallons of lime water per container - I don't really remember. I just mixed enough lime water to properly cover the eggs.

As I fill more bins, I can stack them. I've dated and labeled them, and labeled the 'older' end and the 'newer' end, so I know which eggs to take first.

View attachment 3172422

There are some bakeries that will give away for free or sell their frosting buckets for a good price. Keep in mind that the bigger the container, the heavier and harder to move around it will be, and the deeper you stack eggs, the greater the risk of breakage and contamination of the whole bucket.

I'll be interested to see how this goes. If it goes well, I'll definitely start earlier next Spring, when the hens are laying gobs of eggs. They're still laying well, but have slowed down a bit, and we're eating most of what they lay now.

YouTube has lots of how-to videos on water glassing eggs. Two of the most helpful ones I watched were these:
  • (good, short version)

• (much more detail, and she's a hoot!)

Hope that helps!
Thanks so much for all of this information. I was able to do 13 eggs yesterday so hopefully in 4 or5 months I will be able to use them when I need them. I am sure you can tell by their smell if they are not any good. I put olive oil at the top of mine as they said it would keep the water from evaporating so hopefully all will be well. Thanks again, I appreciated all of your information.

Back
Top Bottom