egg storage

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by plumeggstatic, Apr 16, 2012.

1. plumeggstatic

plumeggstatic New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    Jena, Louisiana
    The other day someone told my wife that you can wipe an egg down with mineral oil and store it in a cool, dark, dry place (about 45 to 55 degrees) and the eggs will keep for about a year. has anyone heard of this?

2. juliezoo

juliezoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    NKY
    Here's an interesting read on egg storage...

http://preparednesspro.com/safely-preserving-eggs/

I have read all sorts of stuff about egg storage over the years going back to how the early settlers used eggs as a major source of protein for the long voyage to America. Generally the discussions revolve around not disturbing the bloom on the eggs.

Personally, I cannot imagine having so many eggs they'd need to be stored for very long LOL. We get nearly a dozen a day, but there's lots to feed around here[​IMG]

3. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Yes you can store eggs like this for a 9 month period.

4. rparrny

rparrny Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    I have also heard the same thing as long as the egg is point side up and stored in a cool dark place. Supposedly that's what our ancestors did.

Rivka

5. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    According to some reading I did years ago, related to open ocean voyaging:
    IF the eggs are fresh
    and IF they have never been refrigerated
    and IF they weren't cleaned really well (because that removes the natural "seal" on the shell)
    They can keep unrefrigerated for several weeks but you do need to keep them from sitting on the same 'side' all the time.

Thus it does seem reasonable that if you seal the shells, they can last a good long while if you can keep them in a consistently cool area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by