Egg strongly stuck to egg turner, how to safely remove?

Chicken Chickita

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2010
Middleboro, MA
This is my first attempt at hatching and I have several eggs that have been in my incubator for 15 days. Before placing the eggs into the egg turner I cleaned it off because I had noticed that it was dirty. Its a borrowed egg turner and I think an egg may have broken on it at some point in its history. I cleaned it off but now suspect that I may not have done such a great job. A couple of the eggs that I placed are stuck quite strongly to the egg turner. I'm worried that when I try to remove them when they go into lockdown that I will break their shells. I also had the thought that I could take those few stuck eggs and egg turner and put them in a separate incubator when the others go into lockdown and hope that the chicks pip on the side of the egg that isn't stuck to the egg turner.

Does anyone have any advice on how to unstick them or other strategies? I've candled most of the eggs that aren't stuck and they seem to be healthy and progressing. I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks so much!

At lock down when you are going to take them out maybe you can try and wet them some with warm water to help loosen them. I'm not sure if putting a little but of olive oil on might help or not. Not sure how it would affect the hatching/o2 exchange with the oil on it.

Or maybe if you cant get them out you can lay down some kind of washcloth or something to cover the turner so the chicks don't get stuck in it when they hatch.

Last edited:
One thing you might want to try is, At lock down just shut off the turner and let the eggs stay where they are. They will be in the right position large end up. The only trade off is the turner will need a really good cleaning after the hatch. Good Luck.

Thank so much for your suggestions! I poured warm water on one and got it loose and will leave the other in the egg turner during lockdown. Luckily, I have two incubators so I can have one with only the one egg stuck in the turner. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom