1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg stuck to the turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuranoFarms, Dec 4, 2009.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    It was unbroken when I put it in yesterday. I let them sit abut 8 hours after arrival. Today I was candling the ones I set last week and went to turn it to read the mark on it....it wont turn. It's stuck!

Now what?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Yea, thats not good.... I have not found a good way to unstick an egg. I have been taking that tray out of the turner an then pulling the egg out. The break a lot. Vinegar will dissolve the shell off the turner... Maybe someone else has a less destructive way. But I bet if you smell it it stinks.

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I put a drop of water by the stuck part to try to loosen it, but it didn't help. So, I pulled it out....and a chunk of shell stayed behind. Had only been in the incubator about 16 hours so nothing was going on yet. It didn't stink though. I just couldn't see leaving it there to develop and not being able to hatch cause it was stuck to the turner! Down to 8 Lavenders now [​IMG]

I'll try the vinegar to clean the tray. Thanks!

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I hate when that happens. It has only happened twice to me but still... grrrr! Hopefully the rest do great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by