Egg suckers, how to train not to?

cheryl98117

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Indianola Washington
So my mothers old lab cross and my rottie cross, have found they enjoy sucking eggs. They have a strong release and leave on comand. But how do I train them to not steal the eggs? Most of the time they are locked in a fenced yard, but in the evenings when we are all outside, they sneak over to the pen and steal an egg or two. Its not a huge problem yet, as they do not disturb the hens, but we sell our surpluss eggs to neighbors, and we are losing profits.

Anyone have any solutions that I could try?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know the remedy for this, but our pit/shephard mix loves to get eggs. We keep the chickens penned up away from him, but sometimes the kids will leave the door open, and a few days ago, my daughter caught him with an egg! My hubby says, once an egg sucking dog, always an egg sucking dog. We usually only have our eggs for us, though we do share with friends too. To me, it doesn't matter, those are our eggs, not Ringo's!
smile.png
Hopefully you will find an answer, otherwise, keep the chickens penned away from them.

Quote:
Two questions though... lol If I dont have a surenge, how do I get the hot sauce into the egg? lol I supose I should go buy one huh? lol Should I plug the hole, or just leave it open?

Last edited:
Quote:
I am deffinatly going to try this tonight after I go to the store. lol Just need the surenge. Thank you again for this advice, the dogs are gonna hate me for a little while. But as long as it works, t is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom