Egg suckers, how to train not to?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cheryl98117, Jun 19, 2009.

1. cheryl98117

cheryl98117 Songster

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    So my mothers old lab cross and my rottie cross, have found they enjoy sucking eggs. They have a strong release and leave on comand. But how do I train them to not steal the eggs? Most of the time they are locked in a fenced yard, but in the evenings when we are all outside, they sneak over to the pen and steal an egg or two. Its not a huge problem yet, as they do not disturb the hens, but we sell our surpluss eggs to neighbors, and we are losing profits.

Anyone have any solutions that I could try?

Thanks in advance.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I don't know the remedy for this, but our pit/shephard mix loves to get eggs. We keep the chickens penned up away from him, but sometimes the kids will leave the door open, and a few days ago, my daughter caught him with an egg! My hubby says, once an egg sucking dog, always an egg sucking dog. We usually only have our eggs for us, though we do share with friends too. To me, it doesn't matter, those are our eggs, not Ringo's! [​IMG] Hopefully you will find an answer, otherwise, keep the chickens penned away from them.

3. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    blow out a couple eggs and fill them with hot sause. HAHA [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  4. cheryl98117

cheryl98117 Songster

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    Quote:Oh!!! I never even thought of that. [​IMG] Wouldnt that just be a shock. I may just try that today. Thanks! [​IMG]

5. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    It worked wonders for me.Between egg eating chickens and dogs...I had to think of something.

6. cheryl98117

cheryl98117 Songster

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    Quote:Two questions though... lol If I dont have a surenge, how do I get the hot sauce into the egg? lol I supose I should go buy one huh? lol Should I plug the hole, or just leave it open?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  7. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    i used a needle and suringe.And i think i just left the hole open.I suppose you could put a small piece of tape on the opening?

8. cheryl98117

cheryl98117 Songster

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    Quote:I am deffinatly going to try this tonight after I go to the store. lol Just need the surenge. Thank you again for this advice, the dogs are gonna hate me for a little while. But as long as it works, t is worth it.

9. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    dirty ol egg suckin dogs....

hahah i had to, sorry. my grandma said it the other day and floored me [​IMG]

sorry i cant help

10. NarutoTn

NarutoTn Songster

Jun 18, 2009
    Dyersburg
    pound or chains?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: