Egg suckers, how to train not to?

Quote:
Nope, will never happen. All of my dogs are rescues, and will stay with me until the end. If I cant train them to not eat the eggs, then they will just not be allowed to run our 6 acres anymore. They will be stuck in their yard.

But thank you anyway.

Oh and to make it clear, the dogs do not get to roam free, they do not leave our property. Two of them are just sneaky. They are great gaurd dogs for our girls, and keep predators from getting to them.

Again, thank you for your opinion.

Quote:
lol yeah arent they though? But I love my dogs, even if they are dirty ol' egg suckers.
lol.png

Hey they could have a taste for chicken, instead of eggs.
hmm.png

How about hooking a hot wire to some eggs left out for them.

As for the hot sauce, I have a a friend that has boxers, and they love habenaros. Some dogs do like it hot.

Quote:
Yeah you have a point, but only one of my dogs likes hot things, and she LOVES it, especially hot wings. lol Luckily, she isnt one of the two dogs like enjoys eggs. She wont go near the coop.

How exactly would someone hook hot wire up to an egg? Explain that one for me CoonX. lol Especially if the egg is left in the nest.

If the eggs are conductive, wire goes in on 1 side and our the other.

If they're not conductive, wrap wire around them. and then replace the eggs in the nest.

Or set up the hot wire around the nest where when the dog goes for the egg, it'll the wire.

Quote:
Ok I understand the hot wire around the nest, but through the egg and around it still baffles me. lol But then again, puting hotwire around the nest, I would emagine would zap the hens. "They aren't always the smartest birds around."

Had a dog once that hot sauce wasn't hot enough. Had to add cayenne pepper (lots) to it. That did the trick. Only took one egg souped up with the cayenne pepper.

I have a no dogs in the coop rule. They won't set foot across that door way. There's no reason they need to be in there, it prevents things like picking up eggs or being tempted to go after a bird, and it's far easier to train than just to leave an individual item alone. Especially if they already know some respect for doorways and going in and out of buildings. My akita is fine with the flock free ranging. I'll let her out with them running around and she just acts like they aren't there. In the coop though they are just too tempting as they squawk and flap right past her in an enclosed space. So no dogs in the coop and the potential for trouble was solved. Zami will sit in a completely open door way wanting to move so much that she's twitching but will not cross it for anything so long as I'm in sight. If I'm not in sight then she can be tempted across a doorway but not usually. The shiba puppy is up to getting it about half the time. Only problem I have now is the puppy, who just looooooooves eggs, dumped the trash today to get at some egg shells and finding that source taken away she dumped a carton near the incubator that held some shells I'd remove after chicks hatched and hadn't disposed of yet. She's set on finding other ways to get her eggs.

Last edited:
depending on your dog breed, I remember reading that large guard type of dogs (rotts, shephards, Bulldogs, Pits, Dobies) are more immune to pepperspray, cayenne and hot stuff in general.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I can tell you my boxer/pit mix HATES anything remotely hot... so I am wishing you the best of luck and going to follow this to see how it works out!

Back
Top Bottom