Egg Swiping at Shows

Quote:
That's a crummy rule. Wouldn't tolerate it.
smile.png

Lisa

Quote:
I agree, what would move someone to even make a silly rule like that? Do make it less appealing to breeders I bet!

...you would be free to Not show your bird....JMO....But my Opinion is biased...I have had, not only eggs but a bird stolen at a show...Please don't let me see you with your hands in my cages...

I understand your point. The eggs still should belong to the person that owns the chicken. Lock your cages and watch your birds.
The most astonishing thing I've read 'regarding eggs laid at a show' was an individual (a member here) that went around asking if they could 'have' the eggs. The eggs were given freely. The individual turned right around and offered those eggs collected at the show for sale --- and someone bought them --- more than once. That is tacky and would upset me almost as badly as if they'd swiped them out of the cage.
smile.png

Lisa​

I'm not sure that confessing your sin on a public forum is a wise thing , but I admire your courage in doing so . I'll leave it to you what actions are necessary to make amends to the rightful owner .

Any non-staff hand in my bird's cage, I would want to cut off and use it as an example for other would-be thieves. I like Iran's method of punishing thieves: cut their hand(s) off. Yes I am very biased- I had my favorite hen stolen at a show, right out of her cage. And had & seen many eggs stolen. There should be a power saw near each cage. JMBO.
hmm.png

Quote:
I understand your point. The eggs still should belong to the person that owns the chicken. Lock your cages and watch your birds.
The most astonishing thing I've read 'regarding eggs laid at a show' was an individual (a member here) that went around asking if they could 'have' the eggs. The eggs were given freely. The individual turned right around and offered those eggs collected at the show for sale --- and someone bought them --- more than once. That is tacky and would upset me almost as badly as if they'd swiped them out of the cage.
smile.png

Lisa

THAT I absolutely agree with. Not too long ago at a show I GAVE a nice silkie cock to a young girl. I have known her and her mother for several years; she is a nice kid. I told her she could have it if her mother agreed. Mom agreed so I gave the bird to her. Next thing I knew she told me that she had given him to her friend because the friend really wanted him. Well, I would not have GIVEN the bird to someone I did not know; I would likely have SOLD it, but not given it away. If this had been a few months later it would not have been a big deal to me--sometimes birds don;t work out, goals change, etc., but this was in less than an hour! I was pretty steamed.

As for eggs belonging to the show; it is a common thing, but many times it is not enforced. For the fair, they mainly want to show all the variety of eggs that the birds lay. Anyways, if the rule book states that that is what happens, and you don't like it, don't show there.

Quote:
As I said in an earlier post (which is easy to miss), this was 25+ years ago. At this point it was/is for the sake of a discussion more than it was a confession. One good reason to remove eggs is that I have seen more than one hen covered with egg. No doubt stressed out and they either trample and break them and/or try to eat them. I saw one white Silkie hen that had her beak and crest all covered with egg yolk. In stiff competition that has to count against them as how do you judge a sticky, matted down crest?

Last edited:
Quote:
As I said in an earlier post (which is easy to miss), this was 25+ years ago. At this point it was/is for the sake of a discussion more than it was a confession. One good reason to remove eggs is that I have seen more than one hen covered with egg. No doubt stressed out and they either trample and break them and/or try to eat them. I saw one white Silkie hen that had her beak and crest all covered with egg yolk. In stiff competition that has to count against them as how do you judge a sticky, matted down crest?

TBH I only read the first two or three posts , figured you were getting torn up by forum warriors , and posted what I considered a kinder reply
lol.png

Yes, I should have posted a time frame from the beginning. Everyone assumed that this was very recent. I named the roo Bandit for his barring and for the obvious. He lived to be 13 years old and had a very good life. If I had not stolen the egg, he might never have been and for that I have no regrets. I never showed him or bred him and was strictly a pet.

Back
Top Bottom