Egg Taste Challenge - Blind Taste Test

Posted on another thread
Originally Posted by Beekissed

Some interesting info on proteins for poultry:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/feed_ingredients/proteins.html

Read about the sunflower seeds affecting egg color and cholesterol.

Interesting about yolk color - so many people think that the darker the colour, the better the yolk. But I'm finding that is not always the case, especially if the chicken is fed additives to alter yolk color. Or as this article suggests something like sunflower may lighten the yolk. In my 4 samples, the two store bought yolks had more of an orange color - the farm and backyard eggs were more yellow. The lightest color was the best tasting and texture (at least for me).

I never really paid that much attention to the color before. If I do another blind taste test again I will have to follow the suggestion of the two posters who suggested tasting before looking. Now I really will know what color my eggs are.

Very interesting blind taste test. I'm gonna have to try this myself. Everyone who eats my eggs, say my eggs taste different then their store bought eggs. I always ask "in a good way" because I just can't taste the difference. Maybe it's my taste buds not being as sensitive.

AH ha! I am not the only one who cant taste that much of a difference!
smile.png

I don't care that much for eggs but will eat them occasionally and I can tell the difference between store bought vs our fresh eggs. To me store eggs have a bit of an "after taste" while the fresh ones don't.

Lisa

I know about 5 people from work that will not eat farm fresh eggs. Even if you give them free.They say they are gross and nasty.I don't see how anyone can eat them. I have heard you say what farm chickens eat Mice or other dead things. They eat off the ground were they poop. I even heard you say they eat their own poop and other animal poop. So when I go to the store now I make sure my eggs were laid by caged chickens that eat only chicken food and I know they were not fertilized by some rooster. When I think about you guys eating fertilized eggs and the stuff they eat it almost makes me sick.
All I can say is to each their own. If you mention pigs to them with the things they eat. They say not store bought. OMG I give up on them.
Have you every seen the conditions of cage-kept layers? They are surrounded by waste and filth, which knowing chickens they probably pick at all the time - due to boredom if nothing else. Their eggs are covered with feces. The eggs are washed then sprayed with an agent to help keep them fresher, but are much filthier to start with than birds with clean laying boxes to use. And many organic eggs are fertilized - just check out the Trader Joe hatching threads. Fertilization does nothing to the taste, quality or wholesomeness of the eggs, unless you allow them to incubate.

Back
Top Bottom