1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg thieves?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ed62, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

For some strange reason, most of our hens are laying their eggs outside, near the coop. Yesterday I saw one egg in a newly dug hole near the coop, but I left it there to be gathered later in the day. A little later, I went out there, and the egg was completely gone - no shell fragments or anything.

Our chicken yard is plenty large enough for 7 chickens, but they are never very far from the coop. What would be stealing the eggs while the chickens are so close to them? FWIW, we do have a rooster who doesn't miss much at all. About 2 years ago we had a bull snake in the yard, and I'm wondering if that could be the thief? Egg production is way down - or is it??

Ed

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    What about ariel critters. Hawks or other larger prey.

3. Ed62

That might be a possibility, but I think a snake is more probable. Thanks for the reply.

Ed

4. ChickenScratchin

ChickenScratchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Colorado
    Could also have egg-eating chickens...they can clean one up very quickly if it gets broken.

5. Ed62

Thanks for the post. We've actually had that happen twice before when there were 2 eggs with soft shells. Other than that, I've had no reason to suspect it happened again, but who knows?

Ed

6. Chickens rock!mysocks

Chickens rock!mysocks Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2010
    Oregon
    It could also be a rat or a squirrel.

7. Ed62

Chickens rock!mysocks :

or a squirrel.

I learn something new every day! Didn't know a squirrel could do that. We have tons of them. Thanks.

Ed​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by