Egg to big to come out????

djtearney

Hatching
Jun 28, 2015
My chickens just started laying eggs last week. One chicken is just not moving around and won't go in coop. Checked her feet and body over seems fine. Is this common when they start laying??? She has been laying down all day in the run,maybe moved a foot or two. Brought her in the house to warm up,now that she is in house looks like a leg problem. Chicken was fine yesterday. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked her leg out to feel if anything is broken or swollen? also check her vent she might have an egg stuck and be egg bound.

I checked her legs both seem fine nothing swollen or broke. Didn't seem to bother her when I was checking them.

You can feel inside her vent an inch or so for a stuck egg. The first egg may take awhile to come, and they can act peculiar, even ill.

Egg bound?? If that's the case what can I do??

Egg bound?? If that's the case what can I do??

Well, I haven't experienced it, but if she is having trouble passing an egg some people put their chickens in a steam bath to relax their muscles. Or a warm water bath would be fine. Not too deep. I really doubt it's egg bound. That would seem unusual for a pullet. Are they pullets? Pullets usually start off with small eggs not large ones.

Your girl may be sick if she isn't moving around much. I would first bring her in and crate her. Put some good vitamin/electrolytes in her water. See if she is eating or interested in food. Keep her in a semi dark quiet place so you won't stress her around the family. Or leave her in a dog crate with food and water in the pen with her friends. Put some shavings in and make it comfortable. Have to see if she is eating or drinking. She acts sick not necessarily egg bound.

Ok Thank you I will check to she if a egg is stuck. She trys to get up but cant,she drinks an eats. She is breathing heavy or panting. Her mouth is open all the time. She is about 25 weeks old. If she is egg bound would that effect her walking?

Ok Thank you I will check to she if a egg is stuck. She trys to get up but cant,she drinks an eats. She is breathing heavy or panting. Her mouth is open all the time. She is about 25 weeks old. If she is egg bound would that effect her walking?

Not completely. I've read they sometimes walk like a penguin when egg bound. If you could check for an egg that would help tell you what it may be or is not. Many things can cause a chicken to act like yours is. Have they been vaccinated for Mareks? The heavy breathing and panting isn't good. Is she in a nest? Or just laying on ground outside? She should be able to get up so I'm thinking something else is going on. I would crate her immediately and put the vitamin/electrolytes in her water. I'm thinking Mareks or a severe vitamin/mineral deficiency.

I am thinking vitamin deficiency. I have had this problem, a healthy hen suddenly unable to walk/stand. After two weeks of adding B12 liquid to her water she began to walk again and was fine for years after. Keep her in a dog crate and give her the supplements in water and make sure she is eating. I would soak my hen in a warm bath each day too, she liked it! good luck.I now give my hens B12 once every few weeks,

If I were going to give vitamins, I would give poultry multivitamins in the water that contain all important vitamins, or I would give B Complex, since there can be several vitamins involved in walking, such as thiamine and riboflavin.

Back
Top Bottom