egg turning question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Southern Bee Lady, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Southern Bee Lady

Southern Bee Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Upstate SC
    I need some experienced help. I am thinking of putting my eggs in paper egg cartons (with holes cut out at bottom) and turning the whole carton from side to side (90 degrees). I will also try to use egg cartons with the holes in the top for air circulation. Has anyone tried this.
    I have tilted the cartons (45 degrees) for a few days in my hovabator that does not have a turner until my other one with a turner was empty. I have not tried this for the full 18 days.
    I was thinking this would be faster than turning eggs individually and would have them in the same orientation as doing each by hand.
    Will this work until I can get another egg turner?

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I use that method. It works fine.

You should remove the top of the egg carton all together.

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yup, I have done this almost exactly the way you describe it, and it worked fine.
    I only used the bottom half of the egg carton though, not the lid.

4. Southern Bee Lady

Southern Bee Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Upstate SC
    I was planning to turn the egg carton all the way on its side so the eggs are laying like they would be in a nest. I think the eggs would fall out of the carton without the top.

5. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    you dont need to turn them that far.

45* angle is perfect. The turning is only to keep the yolk from sticking to the inside of the shell. So it just takes a little movement to do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by