Egg turning question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Specter, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Specter

Specter Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2014
    Hi all!

I am setting some bantam eggs in the Brinsea Mini Advanced.

I followed the guide in the directions as per the size of the eggs and set the turning angle to 8 (in 45 minute intervals).

I have an O and an X on the sides of two of the eggs. It seems to be turning the eggs between 120 and 180 degrees.

Is this turning it too much? We are also 1 week into incubation. Should this be ok?

2. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    I hand-turn mine every 2 hours starting at 8am until 8pm. They get turned 5 times a day and it's plenty for me.

3. fishy steve

fishy steve Out Of The Brooder

wow i only turn my eggs twice a day 12 hours apart, my last hatch was 15 out of 19 eggs hatched.

4. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    I haven't had any hatch due to my incubator but once I thought I wasn't turning them enough lol.

5. Specter

Specter Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2014
    Let me rephrase that.

The Mini Advanced turns in 45, 60, etc. time intervals but that is not what I was referring to.

I was refering to the turning angel of 120 - 180 degrees. Is that turning them too far?

6. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    Oh. I have no clue lol. I read some reviews about that incubator and someone recommended setting the angle to 15. I hope that means something to you because I don't have that incubator.

7. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    When I hand turn I am never consistent, if I am home, its thee times a day at 6,2 and 10 If I am away for the day then its a 6 and 6..... It doesn't seem to have hurt the chicks as I have had some really good hatch rates hand turning... I had DH look at my turner for this round and it seems to be working great now so my latest batch is in with that, Its much easier to not have to worry about whether they will be turned or not but I have to keep reminding myself to check the temp, I have suffered the set it and forget it syndrome this batch.

8. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Your incubator sounds fine and that it is turning them correctly. Although I don't have that Brinsea model I have the octagon advance on the auto turn cradle and that turns them on an hourly cycle through 90 degrees and back so the eggs are always moving never stop :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by