Egg turning questions

vicky1212123

Songster
7 Years
Jan 23, 2016
Lincoln, IL
I am going on vacation from June 10th-19th. I plan on incubating 12 shipped quail eggs and 10 from my own birds. As a person without an auto turner on my bator, I'm a bit concerned. Since these eggs take 17 days to hatch and I want to be there for the last 2 days of their incubation, i will start incubating on June 4th. However, during my vacation days, the only chance they will have to be turned is once daily when my friend will come over to take care of all of my pets. But during the first 6 days of incubation, they will be turned 3-5 times a day until i leave for vacation. Does anyone have a guess as to how reduced the hatch rate will be due to only being turned once a day for part of their incubation?

** I am a hands on hatcher and if i see chicks stuck to part of the egg I will most certainly assist. Just in case that would factor into their hatch rate.

Why not just push back the setting of eggs - if you've already placed the order for the shipped eggs have you asked the seller if you can push back your collect/ship time frame?

the entirety of July i will be working all day detasseling and will be unable to turn the eggs. I am not even 16 yet so this is the only job i can get for probably the next few years, and I just have to sort of work my schedule around it.

Also, i'd like to get my quail grown before summer ends, and if i dont do it before detasseling, I will have to do it during the school year, which will be hard if i plan to have my chicks imprint on me.

Back
Top Bottom