egg turning???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken potpie 2020, Jan 2, 2012.

1. chicken potpie 2020

chicken potpie 2020 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2011
    memphis
    im looking to buy a incubator iv been doin some reading on egg turning how many times a day do you turn eggs iv heard any where from 2 to 5 what the real number

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
  3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

there is no right or wrong number (unless you don't turn them at all.. and there has even been debate over that)
    I believe a hen turns the eggs something like 96 times a day... so it doesn't matter if the eggs are turned an odd or even number of times.. heck.. I have turned mine twice all the way up to 24 times a day (auto turner on Brinsea I believe turns once an hour).. never saw a difference in the hatch rates

just set the bator someplace where you will see it to remind yourself to turn them and then don't stress over exactly how many times they are turned

4. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    I thing three or four times at a minimum is sufficient. And I read a study once that suggested days 4-7 of incubation are the most critical for turning, so I always turn my eggs about ten times a day through those days then go back to three or four. Seems to work well for my hatches -- usually 80-100% -- and doesn't have me opening the incubator too much. Plus, I can also go out and have a life! Good luck with yours.[​IMG]

5. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    In my homemade cooler incubator, I turn them in the morning, before I go to school, and at night before I go to bed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by