Egg turning.

noobchicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 4, 2013
My eggs are pointy side up in the bator. I turn them round side up and so on. Is this correct? I'm new to incubation

Turn them all fat side up if you have them in cartons or a turner. If they're on the wire, the fat end should be slightly higher than the pointy end.
The bigger end is where the air cell is located. You want that air cell to:
a) stay on the fat end, and
b) the chicks need to orient themselves around it so they pip there and have air to breathe before they break the shell.
Turn your eggs 180° some odd number of times a day (I turn 3 times everyday, but you can do more). I mark one side with an x and the other with an o so I can keep track of which eggs I've turned.
Good luck, happy hatching :)

My incubator is home made temp stays right. Can't keep the humidity up (humidity is always around 43%) I turn the eggs like you said and I haven't hatched a single egg. I've been at it for over a month and have 0 hatchers what am I doing wrong?

If you are hatching them upright the fat end must be up at all times. Instead of turning the eggs then, they should be tilted through a 90* angle from side to side, 45* over to one side, then after a few hours 45* in the opposite direction. If you are laying them flat on their sides, they should be turned, like the above poster described. Mark them with an X and an O and turn them an odd number of times per day, say the X is on top, turn them so the O (on the opposite side of the egg) is on top.

Incorrect turning of the eggs does have an effect on the hatch rates, but things like humidity, temperature, age of the eggs before setting, whether or not they were shipped eggs, handling of the eggs prior to and during incubation, as well as the age, health and diet of the breeder flock all plays a part. If you can give us more details we may be able to help you figure out what the problem is.

Back
Top Bottom