Egg wash or not?

The dust mask comments come from the tremendous amount of dust dry chicken coops have in them when you clean them out. It has nothing to do with washing eggs. When I rake my coop, the dust can get so thick it dims the light coming in through the window.

I have never worn a mask either, but it IS possible to get histoplasmosis (sp?), a respiratory fungal infection, from bird or bat droppings. It's very serious. Kind of like toxoplasmosis that you can get from cat litter. That's why they tell pregnant women not to change cat litter boxes -can harm fetus. The histoplasmosis can get you whether your pregnant or not. I had a friend who was sick with it for a long time, but not sure how she acquired it. Didn't own birds, but they were doing yard construction, and tearing up the soil. Scary. Anyway, something to think about, or research if you want.

Thank you so much for all the feedback! I LOVED the Mother Earth article!! I can't wait to show him! EHEHE

As far as the mask goes...I read it on here! I'm such a newbie, all believe anything!!! I'm not quite sure, but after you read that post and all after...I'm sure you'll wear one to!! I do have a bit of a lung/heart problem so I thought better safe than sorry~I wish I could find that post!! It was about a month ago??

I love this site!! Thank you all again for the great information. I have read numerous chicken books and yet to ever get as much information like this!

Back
Top Bottom