Egg wash or not?

ttfoster

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
My husband is a germ freak and is insisting upon me getting the egg wash! Can't I just use a little dish soap? Really, did older farmers ever use fancy egg wash! Or should I be more cautious? I never listen to him about having a face mask when washing the coop eaither! Then I found he was RIGHT, again!! Ugh! I hate when he is right!! Eehheheh!

I would love to hear your thoughts?
Thanks,
Bridget

i wouldn't wash them until right before use and i only use water. If you wash it then the bloom (which prevents bacteria from entering the inside of the egg) could come off. I didn't refrigerate mine either until the family started complaining, oh well i haven't died yet.

I just rinse mine off...I don't use the fancy stuff and I have never gotten sick from an egg. It could happen, but it hasn't yet. I would imagine that a mild soap would do the trick just fine. And my guess on the old farmers would be that they didn't wash them at all other than a quick wipe with a damp towel to get any poo off of them.

Quote:
Egg wash removes any soiling and doesn't necessarily sanitize the shell (depends upon the brand). It is usually used in automated egg washers and isn't really necessary if you're going to hand wash them, as you can get any soiling off with a rag or scotch-brite pad. If you want to sanitize them you can pour a 200 ppm bleach solution over them and allow them to air dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just from a practical point of view....

Most eggs are relatively clean but then their are those "dirty eggs" that we know we have to clean effectively. Brushing off any "stuff" with a dry cloth or even paper is a good place to start. Water is the best cleaner known to man. It may not disinfect but can and has done the job for thousands of years. Yes the cleaning solutions you can buy are always going to sell but water is the most practical. Also be sure to try vinegar as a disinfectant if you really want to be sure. Vinegar is not only effective it makes the shells a little shiny.

Egg wash? Face mask in coop? I'm confused.
idunno.gif

I rinse off the eggs with water and I never wear a mask. I'm okay. At least I think I am
lol.png

I don't wash my eggs until just before using. Have never worn a mask. (At least not in the chicken coop.) Never been sick from eggs or chickens. I do keep the coop and run clean.

The only time that I will wash an egg is right before using it and I only use water. I also dont put mine in the refrigerator. Never worn a face mask in the coop either, I havent been sick in almost 5 yrs.

Back
Top Bottom