Speckles part of bloom?

If an egg is clean it doesn't necessarily *need* washing before use. The bloom protects it.

But many people feel better about washing eggs.

Personally, I only wash eggs with visible dirt/poop on them.
x2. Do what you feel comfortable with, but many of us don't wash eggs before use. Even though I refrigerate my eggs I feel better if the bloom is left intact. If an egg is that badly soiled I'll most likely feed it to the dogs instead.

As far as the original question, the speckles are extra pigment, that's all.

x2. Do what you feel comfortable with, but many of us don't wash eggs before use. Even though I refrigerate my eggs I feel better if the bloom is left intact. If an egg is that badly soiled I'll most likely feed it to the dogs instead.

As far as the original question, the speckles are extra pigment, that's all.
Oh okay, I've read several places that they had to be washed before using no matter how clean they are. I've read that if the eggs are clean from the nest you can leave them on the counter. If they are dirty you can wash and store in the fridge. But either situation wash before using. I give them to family and friends and wash so they don't have to worry about it.

But then again everything you read is just something someone else has said so its hard to know what is best.

I'm new at chickens and just want to be able to have safe eggs

Oh okay, I've read several places that they had to be washed before using no matter how clean they are. I've read that if the eggs are clean from the nest you can leave them on the counter. If they are dirty you can wash and store in the fridge. But either situation wash before using. I give them to family and friends and wash so they don't have to worry about it.

But then again everything you read is just something someone else has said so its hard to know what is best.

I'm new at chickens and just want to be able to have safe eggs
Washing may be required by state law if you sell eggs, but otherwise it is optional for your own use. Again, do what you feel comfortable with. Only "hard" rule is if you do wash, the eggs should be refrigerated as the bloom is no longer intact to protect the egg's contents.

I’ve always kept them on the counter and wash before I use them, unless they’re messy then I wash immediately and refrigerate
^^^This. As long as they are clean, I collect 12 on the counter before throwing them in the fridge. Unless they were laid in the dirt or otherwise dirty, then I wash them and have a bowl for them in the fridge so they get cooked and eaten first. Then I will rinse each egg in warm water just before cracking into it. That way anything in a carton in my fridge looks clean and pretty enough to give away, but I try to remember to tell people they are unwashed eggs.

I have noticed that little bits of bedding will get stick to a thick speckle, so it seems like those are extra deposits of pigment that go on at the end, so they sometimes take longer to dry than the rest of the bloom. I could see the smoother, flush speckles rubbing off, but heavier, raised speckles might not. I don't usually scrub them with a washcloth anyway.

In fact, what I have noticed at times is that a particular egg I get with larger, sort of greyish speckles - when wet - the speckles turn a very pretty bronze color! So it's interesting, like how a heavy bloom can make an egg look pink, a heavy speckle can also take on a chalky or greyed out hue.

I find the variation really amazing. And also so charming and fun! I personally would avoid scrubbing eggs so hard the speckles come off. Let a customer do that themselves 😬😬😜

Washing may be required by state law if you sell eggs, but otherwise it is optional for your own use. Again, do what you feel comfortable with. Only "hard" rule is if you do wash, the eggs should be refrigerated as the bloom is no longer intact to protect the egg's contents.
I saw a video about a guy in Sweden or Finland or something who could only legally sell clean eggs in his country, and could not legally wash them, either! Clean, unwashed eggs only. So working any kinks out of his nesting boxes was really important for him.

I guess I took that message to heart, and I don't believe we should settle for dirty eggs on a regular basis. I'm happy that most of my eggs are quite clean. Save brushing off a bit of bedding or picking off a piece of down lol But if I were having to routinely wash gross-looking eggs, that would be a sign to me, I need to revisit what's going on in the coop / run. Just my 2 cents. :)

If an egg is clean it doesn't necessarily *need* washing before use. The bloom protects it.

But many people feel better about washing eggs.

Personally, I only wash eggs with visible dirt/poop on them.
I've never washed eggs before cooking them, I've always felt bad about it though. I know it doesn't really matter since I'm cooking them.

I didn't use vinegar, only very warm water, and I rinsed mine and rubbed pretty hard with my fingers. The dark terracotta bloom came off, and probably some of the finer speckles. But really mostly they didn't budge. Mine are Welsummers.

20230127_181705.jpg
20230127_180828.jpg
What breed are laying the speckles for you? Do you have pictures of the eggs? How much vinegar are you using? How hard are you scrubbing? So many questions...

Pictures are of two different eggs, one similar to the one I washed, just to show the color difference of the dark bloom that does rub off. The egg that remains has gone pale, but is still brown, and still speckled.

I didn't use vinegar, only very warm water, and I rinsed mine and rubbed pretty hard with my fingers. The dark terracotta bloom came off, and probably some of the finer speckles. But really mostly they didn't budge. Mine are Welsummers.

View attachment 3388299View attachment 3388300What breed are laying the speckles for you? Do you have pictures of the eggs? How much vinegar are you using? How hard are you scrubbing? So many questions...

Pictures are of two different eggs, one similar to the one I washed, just to show the color difference of the dark bloom that does rub off. The egg that remains has gone pale, but is still brown, and still speckled.
Its a blue laced wyandotte that lays the speckled eggs. Um I don't have pictures currently but when I wash one I will. I use just 1/4 cup* in a large bowl of warm almost hot water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom