Egg washing method

Quote:
Just because they are the USDA doesn't mean they are wrong. Using bleach as a sanitizing agent is a tried and true method. I'd research the concentrations and contact times required for vinegar. Vinegar, in high enough concentrations, will start to etch the egg shell. Could be just as good, I don't know...

Just because they are USDA doesn't mean they are right, either. 50/50 vinegar solutions used on dog and cat urine will disinfect the same as bleach, as well as eliminate odor. Dipping an egg in and out of that solution shouldn't eat the shell. Vinegar will eat egg shell if the egg is submerged and left in the vinegar. Bleach is "tried and true" as you said, but there are a lot of people that are allergic to it. It's a known caustic substance, and I personally try not to use it. I'm only mentioning the vinegar for people who, like me, don't want to use bleach. It's just an alternative that should work.

Quote:
That may be fine for you, but when I'm getting a few dollars a dozen I don't sell unwashed eggs. Sanitizing them may be prudent if you are selling quantities to the general public.

Quote:
That may be fine for you, but when I'm getting a few dollars a dozen I don't sell unwashed eggs. Sanitizing them may be prudent if you are selling quantities to the general public.

Bleaching isn't necessary. There is a market for eggs that haven't been bleached or otherwise washed. None of my customers are complaining that I don't wash my eggs. They are laid in clean, tidy nests, and only if the hens come into the nest with poo on their feet, is that even an issue. One of the benefits of getting eggs from the farm is NOT having things like bleach on them. This is why a lot of people here may be surprised to think that a small time chook farmer might do such a thing.

Quote:
Should work? Like I said, I'd like info on concentration and contact time before I'd consider it. It could be a good alternative, but without further info, I just don't know...

Vinegar is a PROVEN antibacterial. The SHOULD part is that it shouldn't hurt the egg shell by eating it. SHOULD as in, I haven't personally tried it yet, so I don't know personally. As I said earlier.

Hello Luv!
I worked as a nurse and while we were studying microbiology, we used bleach, distilled vinegar and some other disinfectants in a petri dish growing salmonella. The results were astounding! The distilled vinegar actually worked as good as the bleach. I wash my eggs in a 1 part vinegar to 9 parts water and air dry them in a colander. I have used bleach too. I feel great about either and bleach shouldn't hurt the eggs if you dip the eggs in a light bleach solution of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water, no need to rinse, just let the dry. When it dries it actually turns into a little sodium. Lemon juice works too, and it leaves a nice smell.
You just do what you feel great about!
I am a newbie to the BYC, and I am glad to share. Angels Bless & Keep You.
Sincerely, Bunny

The ratio of water to bleach I am using comes out to 288:1.
DD

Last edited:
I read to wash them in warm water with a papertowel and small amount of non-scented soap. Our girls are not laying yet, so haven't had the chance to try anything really.

Quote:
thats what i do with a little elbow grease
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom