1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Washing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MedinaChick2001, Nov 15, 2010.

1. MedinaChick2001

MedinaChick2001 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    I do not wash my eggs. When its rainy outside the eggs get mud/poo chunks on them. If its not muddy then they are spotless. My question is, should I wash them or just do as I have been? Most of the time the eggs are spotless, but there have been a few with gunk on them. I gave a dozen eggs to my parents and they called me freaking out that we were all going to get sick because I don't wash my eggs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. pw30

pw30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    Plymouth, WI
    I wash my eggs when I wash my hands after collecting. I use antibacterial soap. No one ever told me to do this but I thought it would be a good idea. I would love to see other suggestions from more experienced people than myself.

3. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Me too! My girls are too small to lay yet, but I would love to see a nice sticky with proper egg care and handling! (Hint, Hint)

4. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't wash or refrigerate my eggs BUT... If I sell or give them away, I wash them and put them in the fridge. I know it isn't necessary, but people who are used to buying eggs at the grocery expect it and get freaked out if you don't.

5. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    This subject has been discussed over and over. Do a search. I don't wash 'clean' eggs. I would NEVER pass along a dirty egg. I collect the dirty eggs and once or twice a week, wash them and THOSE have to right into the fridge. When you wash eggs, the water should be warm ... not overly HOT or COLD. Personally, I don't use anything but water to wash my eggs. They are 'porous' and can absorb anything you use. Others have differing opinions.

6. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    I keep my nest boxes pretty clean, so my eggs are usually very clean. I rinse the eggs off before i use them though

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO, you are more likely to get sick from an egg that's been washed - has had the protective coating, the "bloom" removed - than you are from an unwashed egg. The bloom keeps dirt and germs out.
    I am religious about keeping my nestboxes clean. A slightly dirty egg I clean using a rough, dry paper towel. If on occasion I get a really dirty egg, like if the hen has a bowel movement while in the nestbox, I feed that egg to the dogs.
    My egg customers know that I don't wash my eggs. They know to wash them just prior to using. Also, to wash them in water that is at least 20 degrees warmer than the egg itself. Washing eggs in cold water or worse, soaking eggs in water, causes the contents of the egg to contract, sucking dirt and germs in. Hot water causes the contents to expand, pushing dirt and germs up and out.

The staff of Mother Earth News did an interesting experiment on the subject:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx

8. MyBlackHen

MyBlackHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Upstate New York
    Thanks for asking this question - I've been meaning to ask or do a search but kept forgetting. We've been getting eggs now for a month and I have been lightly rising them in lukewarm water. However, it sounds like the right thing to do is not wash them at all (according to the article posted by gritsar - thanks for the reference!). My eggs are usually clean - sometimes there are some pine shavings stuck to them but that can just be gently brushed off.

Enjoy your eggs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by