egg washing

new2ducks

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2012
Colorado
is there any special thing to wash the eggs when you bring them in? I've just been using dish soap to wash off the egg shells

I was just concerned about any dirt that could get into the egg itself when you crack it open. I had someone give me chicken eggs a few years ago that weren't washed, they just said they wash them off right before they go to use them...something about the nutrients?

I was just concerned about any dirt that could get into the egg itself when you crack it open.  I had someone give me chicken eggs a few years ago that weren't washed, they just said they wash them off right before they go to use them...something about the nutrients?
Same thing. Wash them right before use if they have any dirt on them. If not, don't bother.

If you don't wash them, there is no need to refrigerate either :)

Thanks for all the help! Since it's been cold at night here and not scorching hot during the days anymore, I've just been raking out the doghouse about twice a week to get eggs. Sahara used to just lay them anywhere and now she's making me work to get them! lol
AND I made brownies with the eggs last week....YUM I can't believe how moist and rich they were!

Like pp said you don't have to wash, but if you're going to...rinse in somewhat warm/hot water so that any dirt or bacteria will come out of the egg shell rather than get sucked in. Yay for yummy fresh brownies!

Like pp said you don't have to wash, but if you're going to...rinse in somewhat warm/hot water so that any dirt or bacteria will come out of the egg shell rather than get sucked in. Yay for yummy fresh brownies!
I just sent a message to my fiance begging her to make brownies. :drool

Agree - always rinse in water warmer than the egg temp so the pores don't constrict and suck in bacteria :)

Back
Top Bottom