egg washing

RobnCj13

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
My wife and I are new to chickens and country living. We are looking for the proper way to wash our eggs.

When a chicken lays an egg it is covered in a natural coating called bloom. Bloom is a natural way to keep bacteria from entering through the shell into the egg. Unless the egg is dirty, I do not wash my eggs. If I do have an egg that is dirty, I gently clean the debris away with a sponge.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Like mlwascom mentioned, cleaning eggs is not necessary unless they have visible or adhering dirt. In cases like that, you can gently wash the egg in warm water. It is important that the water be warm. Cold water causes the contents of the egg to retract, drawing potential bacteria on the shell into the egg--not a good thing.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Mlwascom and BantamLover21 have explained very well how to clean (if needed) chicken eggs so I'll just say, please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes, you don't need to wash or clean your eggs.

Washing eggs is bad because an eggshell is covered in a lining called the "bloom." This prevents bacteria and germ entry. Washing eggs removes this coating. If you absolutely have to wash an egg, be sure to use warm water and use the egg that day.

Sometimes you may come upon a messy or poopy egg. No need for washing. Sometimes just using a dry paper towel you can get the mess off.

Good luck!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You have been given some great advice above, so I will just welcome you to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom