EGG WATCH IS ON!

GemW

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Nebraska
My first hatched bird turned 6 weeks today. One male and one female, with the others all celebrating their 6 weeks in the next few days. Which means I get to scour the cages and say "any day now" for the next few weeks!

We just moved to an acreage last summer and got all of our birdies (chickens included) this spring so this will be our first product from all the hard work. I'm so excited!

I *think* this is the birthday girl but I could be wrong because I kinda lost track of who is who, but I'm gonna give her the honor and pretend I know for sure.

Attachments

• 20230531_192708.jpg
    20230531_192708.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 12
If you have one male and one female, you may not get eggs. If your hen is stressed, she won't lay, and having only one female to one male, she may well be getting overbred. The usual ratio is one male to at least three hens.

My first hatched bird turned 6 weeks today. One male and one female, with the others all celebrating their 6 weeks in the next few days. Which means I get to scour the cages and say "any day now" for the next few weeks!

We just moved to an acreage last summer and got all of our birdies (chickens included) this spring so this will be our first product from all the hard work. I'm so excited!

I *think* this is the birthday girl but I could be wrong because I kinda lost track of who is who, but I'm gonna give her the honor and pretend I know for sure.
No, I have more. I just had 2 born on the first day of the hatch. We have 11 total. 4 males (which I'm aware might still be too high) but I'm trying to monitor them pretty closely and will remove anyone that needs to be removed.

So far they're behaving harmoniously and the females don't seem stressed but I suspect that will change. We were hoping to let them grow to 8 weeks, so like I said, a close eye on everyone.

And wouldn't you know it...I was out "monitoring" everyone and one of my "females" was mounting everyone 🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom