Egg weight

Still pondering #1- opaline, you think? Guinia farm says near white - her wings, belly & face are white, but the rest is creamy, GF says no black hairs on head, there are. "Bluish tint on head and back" not on back, but that might explain the shadow I mentioned that keeps coming up brown on that camera. 🙄 I said coral blue earlier, that was one that passed. Definitely lavender, I think violet, and the one still damp does have the stripes of buff d.
I went back to look, I didn't think he'd mentioned pied, but he did. "coral blue, lavender, light blue, buff dundotte, brown, pied, , violet, and white."

Last edited:
Congratulations Sydney!!! :celebrateI’m happy for your new keets, but I’m sorry about the sticky keets; I’ve had such hatching problems this year too! I bought a new turner but didn’t have a chance to try it out. There are lots of threads and articles about “sticky chicks”. One article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hatchability-problem-analysis.62956/

lists as possible causes:

"Sticky" chicks - chicks smeared with albumen

- Low incubation temperature.
- High incubation humidity.
- Incorrect or inadequate turning of the eggs, resulting in improper membrane development and function.
- Eggs stored too long prior to setting.
- Overly large eggs.

As for your babies - so so cute!!! :love :love I burrowed a screenshot from Jessica Farmer again for Buff vs Buff Dundotte…Opaline is semipearled too, but in the keet pics I’ve seen, the stripes are so pale that they are difficult to see. Is the dry one on the far right the same as the individual keet posted above? What colors do you expect or what colors were the breeders? The one just to the left of the buff-y one looks like a Violet! I still have two keets that I’m guessing are Violet, plus the runty “pastel” keet, plus one that’s kind of a mystery to me. I thought in my quick look at the day old keets that it was Violet. However, it’s first set of feathers have the same laced color pattern as the royal purple keets, they are just more reddish brown colored, so I’m guessing he’s semipearled and I missed his head stripes as a day old… Anyway, can’t wait to see more pics of your babies!!!

Attachments

• 42CAF639-EB89-41E9-9C74-5557C621CB51.png
    42CAF639-EB89-41E9-9C74-5557C621CB51.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
Yep, that's them. 20211003_120904.jpg
Sadly, the little violet had died when I got up this a.m. It was wobbly on it's feet & rolling over a lot, but I'd put off the Vit B until today, thinking they'd all had a rough start & needed to rest. Not sure the Bs would have helped but one of those things where you ask if you did everything possible.
Funny- you say never again..and I'm sitting here debating having him ship me more.:gig
I sold most of Rosie's yesterday. I kept back the one of hers that stays at her side all the time, and the one of Bella's that I hatched. She's such a good Nanny that her name is now Thia -greek for "aunt". At least that stretches out the bloodline.
The 3 that pipped internally 1st failed. The ones that went into lockdown 1-3gms overweight survived, the ones -1g underweight-failed, the rest were on target. I saw anywhere from 12-16% weight loss recommendations, I went with most common, 13g. Maybe if I go 12%. It seems like they cope with a little over compared to under, Too weak.
Turning eggs could be an issue- mine has a turner but I didnt use bc of jiggly eggs. I kept upright at first & hand turned them, but then started tilting unit side to side several times a day.
By 22nd day, jiggle was gone, 1 failed, 1 hatched.
I don't think they were "old eggs" but end of sesson eggs. I haven't had as many unfertile ones before.
Talking to others, gen concensus is you're right and foxes have been a problem around here this yr. Since we've never seen one, what abt a live trap?
If you get the roost enclosed, the 3 wk olds will be fine roosting. The triplets went out at 3 wks and we had a cold spell. Didn't phase them, and the windows were open.

Yep, that's them.View attachment 2854322
Sadly, the little violet had died when I got up this a.m. It was wobbly on it's feet & rolling over a lot, but I'd put off the Vit B until today, thinking they'd all had a rough start & needed to rest. Not sure the Bs would have helped but one of those things where you ask if you did everything possible.
Funny- you say never again..and I'm sitting here debating having him ship me more.:gig
I sold most of Rosie's yesterday. I kept back the one of hers that stays at her side all the time, and the one of Bella's that I hatched. She's such a good Nanny that her name is now Thia -greek for "aunt". At least that stretches out the bloodline.
The 3 that pipped internally 1st failed. The ones that went into lockdown 1-3gms overweight survived, the ones -1g underweight-failed, the rest were on target. I saw anywhere from 12-16% weight loss recommendations, I went with most common, 13g. Maybe if I go 12%. It seems like they cope with a little over compared to under, Too weak.
Turning eggs could be an issue- mine has a turner but I didnt use bc of jiggly eggs. I kept upright at first & hand turned them, but then started tilting unit side to side several times a day.
By 22nd day, jiggle was gone, 1 failed, 1 hatched.
I don't think they were "old eggs" but end of sesson eggs. I haven't had as many unfertile ones before.
Talking to others, gen concensus is you're right and foxes have been a problem around here this yr. Since we've never seen one, what abt a live trap?
If you get the roost enclosed, the 3 wk olds will be fine roosting. The triplets went out at 3 wks and we had a cold spell. Didn't phase them, and the windows were open.
Oh no, I’m so sorry about your Violet!!!! :hitIt would have still had yolk it was absorbing, so probably nothing would have helped it. Sad for it though. Of your current trio, it looks like two fully pearled (dotted) and one… ??? Is one keet Pearl grey and one brown? Wasn’t Bella brown? For the lightest keet, there are a lot of light colored attenuates that wouldn’t have head stripes, like ivory, light powder, lite sky, etc. Could also be something like opaline where the lines are too faint to see well… Did the seller give you a list of possible colors? It will be fun to see how your keets develop!

As for the weather, I’m relieved to hear someone has had keets roosting in the cool weather! Maybe the keets will crowd together and stay warm? I have a heat light on in the day, which the keets seldom use, but I’m afraid to use it at night. If something disturbed the birds and they went nuts, they could likely start a fire. I wouldn’t want to start eggs this late for me, with my situation of trying to bring new birds in via broody hatch. I can totally see it working though with an incubator, brooder, etc. In fact I did that with chicken chicks one year. It was more work on my part getting them acclimated to the cold and integrated into their new flock, but it worked out ok. For my broody hatches though, I think I need to draw the line at July hatches…

Oh no, I’m so sorry about your Violet!!!! :hitIt would have still had yolk it was absorbing, so probably nothing would have helped it. Sad for it though. Of your current trio, it looks like two fully pearled (dotted) and one… ??? Is one keet Pearl grey and one brown? Wasn’t Bella brown? For the lightest keet, there are a lot of light colored attenuates that wouldn’t have head stripes, like ivory, light powder, lite sky, etc. Could also be something like opaline where the lines are too faint to see well… Did the seller give you a list of possible colors? It will be fun to see how your keets develop!

As for the weather, I’m relieved to hear someone has had keets roosting in the cool weather! Maybe the keets will crowd together and stay warm? I have a heat light on in the day, which the keets seldom use, but I’m afraid to use it at night. If something disturbed the birds and they went nuts, they could likely start a fire. I wouldn’t want to start eggs this late for me, with my situation of trying to bring new birds in via broody hatch. I can totally see it working though with an incubator, brooder, etc. In fact I did that with chicken chicks one year. It was more work on my part getting them acclimated to the cold and integrated into their new flock, but it worked out ok. For my broody hatches though, I think I need to draw the line at July hatches…
His flock are coral blue, lavender, light blue, buff dundotte, brown, pied, violet, and white.
Shoot, I used the tablet camera again. - I'll post one from camera after this.
These 3 are, I believe,buff, buff dundotte, & lavender. ...you don't want me to tell you the colors that didn't make it. 😔 That's what @R2elk & I were trying to fig out, was the color of the undotted. "She's" creamy colored, white wings, belly & face. She's a sweetie, 1st one hatched and wants to cuddle w/me. Took her awhile to cuddle w/mates, kept 6" from them w/her back to them.🤷‍♀️ I guess overnight it got lonely bc she's w/them now.
Yes, the temp dropped the night Rosie's hatched, it was actually the twins, not triplets, that I had moved out that day. They nestled in between the boys and triplets.

Back
Top Bottom