Egg whites not white/clear?

Tigertrea

Songster
7 Years
Feb 10, 2012
LaSalle Ontario Canada
My husband has mentioned to me twice now that in the past couple of weeks he has found some eggs with cloudy, tan and even greenish whites. I haven't seen any other than some cloudy ones, I've assumed that is from them freezing in the coop before being collected.

Their diet right now is basically only layer food with the occasional "treat". Home made bread, an oatmeal mix I warmed for them with some pork, raisins, lard and corn meal (Sounds yummy! LOL), some scratch, a handful of cracked corn and, some fatty pork every few days. Not much in the way of greens because, well, we aren't even eating many.

They have been "cooped" up in their coop and run for weeks and, they only go out into their run for water even and have no interest in going outside the run, into the snow.

My biggest concern is....there have been starlings in their coop and run a lot over the winter. We just can't seem to keep them out. They get in the run, then into the coop. (They get in between the run door and door jam....it is a dog kennel re-purposed). I am wondering if my chickens have caught something from the starlings. They all seem very healthy. They grew back all their feathers after molting (I had a feather picking problem but, everybody has all their feathers now!), they eat well, are active and I'm getting 6-7 eggs a day from 8 hens.

Last edited:
Spoilage due to Pseudomonas bacteria produces a greenish, fluorescent, water soluble pigment in the albumen. A green tint to to albumen can also be caused by the presence of high levels of riboflavin (vit B2), which has a yellow green colour. The tan colour may be caused by a small amount of blood, which got encased with the egg contents and dissolved in the albumen. This blood most often shows up as blood spots on the yolk.

Very fresh eggs can sometimes have cloudy egg whites due to the carbon monoxide in the white that hasn't had a chance to escape. Sometimes the protein holding the yolk together can become visible in the whites, causing a cloudy appearance and whites can also become cloudy if they were stored at temperatures between 32*F and 39*F.

My husband has mentioned to me twice now that in the past couple of weeks he has found some eggs with cloudy, tan and even greenish whites. I haven't seen any other than some cloudy ones, I've assumed that is from them freezing in the coop before being collected.

Their diet right now is basically only layer food with the occasional "treat". Home made bread, an oatmeal mix I warmed for them with some pork, raisins, lard and corn meal (Sounds yummy! LOL), some scratch, a handful of cracked corn and, some fatty pork every few days. Not much in the way of greens because, well, we aren't even eating many.

They have been "cooped" up in their coop and run for weeks and, they only go out into their run for water even and have no interest in going outside the run, into the snow.

My biggest concern is....there have been starlings in their coop and run a lot over the winter. We just can't seem to keep them out. They get in the run, then into the coop. (They get in between the run door and door jam....it is a dog kennel re-purposed). I am wondering if my chickens have caught something from the starlings. They all seem very healthy. They grew back all their feathers after molting (I had a feather picking problem but, everybody has all their feathers now!), they eat well, are active and I'm getting 6-7 eggs a day from 8 hens.
Can you post some pics?

Spoilage due to Pseudomonas bacteria produces a greenish, fluorescent, water soluble pigment in the albumen. A green tint to to albumen can also be caused by the presence of high levels of riboflavin (vit B2), which has a yellow green colour. The tan colour may be caused by a small amount of blood, which got encased with the egg contents and dissolved in the albumen. This blood most often shows up as blood spots on the yolk.

Very fresh eggs can sometimes have cloudy egg whites due to the carbon monoxide in the white that hasn't had a chance to escape. Sometimes the protein holding the yolk together can become visible in the whites, causing a cloudy appearance and whites can also become cloudy if they were stored at temperatures between 32*F and 39*F.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom