egg with a membrane only?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Suess hens, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I went out to collect the eggs this evening and found one egg that has a soft membrane. It ... I don't know. What is going on? None of my girls have ever done this before. And it was warm like having been laid sometimes between 7 and 7:30. It is raining today so all the girls have probably had a weird day, their food was full of water because I forgot to put it in this morning (I knew it was going to rain, just had my head in other places). What should I do?

2. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    2 of my pullets laid them like that also it only happen 1X then they were fine normal eggs after that. I was told that they do that somtimes.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It happens occasionally. Things don't go right and an egg pops out with no shell, part of a shell, or a deformed shell. If it only happens every now and then you don't really need to worry. Especially if they just started laying. My EE pullet laid 2 shell less eggs and one with weird folds on the end this winter before she got things sorted out and started laying normal eggs. If it happens more than the odd time or so they may need more calcium. Make sure they have access to oyster shell or another calcium source.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by