Egg with membrane outside

Tiranni

Songster
Jul 20, 2019
Hutchinson, MN
I have a few new layers and one of them for the past few days has been laying a regular size egg (with a hard shell) with what appears to be a membrane on the outside of the shell. I think it's one of my MMM that is laying it. I couldn't find anything in these forums or on Google that matched what is happening. Is this just due to the chickens being young? Or is it something wrong?
IMG_20200124_121037.jpg

The egg is actually a rich mahogany brown with dark brown spots and lines. I'm not sure why the camera made it look red and bloody...

I have a few new layers and one of them for the past few days has been laying a regular size egg (with a hard shell) with what appears to be a membrane on the outside of the shell. I think it's one of my MMM that is laying it. I couldn't find anything in these forums or on Google that matched what is happening. Is this just due to the chickens being young? Or is it something wrong? View attachment 2010174

The egg is actually a rich mahogany brown with dark brown spots and lines. I'm not sure why the camera made it look red and bloody...
It's probably just a new layer start up oddity. Keep an eye on her. She should work out the kinks as her reproductive system matures.
One of my new layers laid an egg in an egg. She's been fine ever since.

Has happened more than once?
This is from a shelled egg backing up in the system(counter-peristalsis) and getting another round of membrane.
Hopefully it's just a start up glitch.

I have a few new layers and one of them for the past few days has been laying a regular size egg (with a hard shell) with what appears to be a membrane on the outside of the shell. I think it's one of my MMM that is laying it. I couldn't find anything in these forums or on Google that matched what is happening. Is this just due to the chickens being young? Or is it something wrong? View attachment 2010174

Good question. My new hybrid 20 week old just laid one the same!

Back
Top Bottom