Egg with no shell, no membrane

leight54

Songster
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Southwest New Hampshire
One of my two hens laid an egg yesterday with no shell and no membrane. I'm pretty sure it was Darla, who just got over being broody for a month.

Is this normal? I get shell-less eggs from time to time, but never had one without a membrane.

One of our hens has laid 2 eggs in a row with no shell or membrane. Just leaves a pile of yolk and white in the box. All of the girls have access to oyster shell. They are being fed Layena crumbles. They also get oatmeal in the morning, with a layer of cottage cheese or yogurt on the top. All of them seem to be healthy, just looks like one is "pooping" an egg yolk/white.
hu.gif

I have the same problem. That's what I logged in today to see about. Have you gotten any answers?

This is my second batch of chickens in 4 years, and I have never had this happen before. There is always a mess in the nest. Grose.

Just posted this in another thread...but here goes:

Lately, seems like I have heard a lot about shell-less and thin shelled.

I had some for awhile. I added vitamin D-3, and tried to boost calcium too. My shells from the particular hen have been good lately, although today's had a puncture, not sure if it was a foot going through or if she is trying to eat eggs.

apple cider vinegar helps the chicken's digestive system have the pH to absorb nutrients, like calcium. 1-tablespoon to 1-gallon of water.

Lots of crushed oyster shell free choice, their own egg shells crushed and fed back to them if you choose to.

I take a D-3 tablet and crush it on the counter, mix it with some feed that I put some water on to make sure that the D-3 powder will stick. Guess I should say vitamin D-3 -- which I got at Walmart--it helps them with shell formation.

Use your layer ration that contains the most calcium and hold off on treats that don't contain calcium. It takes a little while but that may help the shell problem.

Last edited:
One of mine just did that also. Yellow mess in the nest box. They were out roaming yesterday but eat Layer pellets (purina) and I also give them access to crushed eggshells.

they are young and only laying less than a month. This may be a new layer or just ate too much “junk” grazing yesterday (though I doubt it)

some are not even laying yet so I am not really worried (yet)

Back
Top Bottom