Egg withdrawl and topical ivermectin

GingerGremlin

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2023
I just treated my girls topically for depluming mites with ivermectin and feel terrible about wasting eggs, could I feed the eggs back to the girls or would that be like giving them a double dose and cause problems? I'm on an autoimmune protocol with my diet and potential negative consequences with my symptoms scare me too much to eat them myself.

Welcome!
Yes, feeding those eggs back to the birds just gives them more ivermectin. In the USA this drug is not approved for use on chickens, so there's no official egg withdrawal time except 'forever'. In practical terms, because you've already used it (and it works very well!) plan on maybe two weeks...
You can look up the length of time it's going to be present in eggs, as it decreases over time, and minute amounts will be in eggs for a while.
Ivermectin is used in human medicine against river blindness, found in Africa, at least. There are fairly rare individuals who are allergic to it also.
Mary
And if you got any on your skin, you've already had a tiny dose yourself! We have horses, and I usually get some on my hands when worming them. Must be good, right?

Welcome!
Yes, feeding those eggs back to the birds just gives them more ivermectin. In the USA this drug is not approved for use on chickens, so there's no official egg withdrawal time except 'forever'. In practical terms, because you've already used it (and it works very well!) plan on maybe two weeks...
You can look up the length of time it's going to be present in eggs, as it decreases over time, and minute amounts will be in eggs for a while.
Ivermectin is used in human medicine against river blindness, found in Africa, at least. There are fairly rare individuals who are allergic to it also.
Mary
And if you got any on your skin, you've already had a tiny dose yourself! We have horses, and I usually get some on my hands when worming them. Must be good, right?
Thank you!! When I have a reaction it's usually really severe so I'm extremely (maybe overly) cautious and I've seen other people say they just eat the eggs anyways with no withdrawl period so I just wanted some more insight, I tried every other natural mite and lice treatment and the poor girls just kept getting worse so ivermectin was my last hope at getting them some relief.

Mites are miserable to deal with! Years ago we did use Ivermectin, worked fine and was easy to do. Then we decided to use permethrin spray or dust, which does work, and is fine with no egg withdrawal. The wild songbirds bring them in here, so far an unmanagable problem at our coop.
None of the 'natural' treatments actually work.
Mary

Mites are miserable to deal with! Years ago we did use Ivermectin, worked fine and was easy to do. Then we decided to use permethrin spray or dust, which does work, and is fine with no egg withdrawal. The wild songbirds bring them in here, so far an unmanagable problem at our coop.
None of the 'natural' treatments actually work.
Mary
We have a lot of wild birds as well, did you do a second dose of ivermectin 10 days later or just the one dose? I was planning on doing a second round in 10 days because that's what I've read but I'd honestly rather not if I don't have to, I'll have to keep the permethrin in mind for next time we go through this.

Back
Top Bottom