Egg without a shell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wanttobefarmer, Jul 24, 2010.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    last night when i came home and checked on my chickens (they were all on their roost) underneath the roost was what looked like a fresh cracked egg on the ground beneath the roosting chickens, except there was no shell only a thin leathery or rubbery casing laying beside it. I have several pullets that are 5 months and starting to lay. Could this be normal? Do i need to put out more crushed oyster shell? They are finishing their pullet developer feed (organic), and I'm starting them on their laying ration today. Could this be the problem? My other 5 hens have been laying for a month with the pullet developer and no problems.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    this can happen. Increase your calcium and if they are not yet on layer gradually switch them over. Oyster shell grit should be enough. make sure you get any eggs before they discover them and start eating them.

3. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    ok i took the leathery casing but left the egg last night. It was really late and in dirty pine shavings. I hope even if they ate it that they don't relate it to an egg in a shell. Thanks

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    It is totally normal for new layers to lay these soft-shelled eggs. The "leathery/rubbery" thing was an attempt at a shell. They should improve with the layer ration and free-choice oyster shell. New layers, so exciting!

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Normal even for older birds, add some oyster shells or use a good layer feed with calcium.

6. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    thanks they have thier layer ration now and i have 14 4-6 month old hens that are laying or soon to be. it is so much fun

7. tri-5-ron

tri-5-ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    I got one of these soft/no shell eggs today also.
    I have 6 hens that are 22 weeks old.
    I have been getting eggs for two weeks from two of the hens,
    and have 4 eggs in the last 5 days from one of the other hens.

All of the hens have been on layer feed for about the last 4 to 5 weeks, the large run is a sand floor, and they have not had any oyster shell available to them.
    All these eggs have had normal/perfect shells, so I an assuming that this new soft/no shell egg, is a first attempt by one of the other hens.

Since at least 3 of my 6 hens, have all laid eggs with perfect shells, Do I really need to run out and get some oyster shell?
    I'm new to raising chickens, but I feel that this is probably just a case of one hens egg production system, having a slow start, and should improve within the next egg or two.
    Is this a safe and correct assumption?, or do Ineed to get the oyster shell right away ???

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by