Egg Without Shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Arcadia Chicken, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Arcadia Chicken

Arcadia Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    Windham, Maine
    I have several 5 month old production red pullets. Some are laying eggs and a few haven't started yet. This evening one layed an egg without a shell. From what I've read this seems to be a normal occurrence with some pullets as they begin to lay. My question is how long should I expect this to continue if at all?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    About a week. Kool picture. That is one "egg"?

3. Arcadia Chicken

Arcadia Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    Windham, Maine
    I think it's one egg?? There're connected. The egg white is the large sack and the yolk is the smaller. Here's another pic. [​IMG]

4. bobshere

bobshere Chillin' With My Peeps

I had one doing that for quite a while. Then she got on track. Laid for 15 days straight and then started with the no shell eggs again and sometimes 2 attached as you show in the picture. That went on for a week, she then laid two good eggs and then another no shell egg. Hopefully she will get back on track. She is the sweetest chicken I have ever had. I think this happens more than most people know cause it usually happens at night from the roost. Come next morning they have already eaten it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by