Egg yolk color

Penelope59

Chirping
Jun 29, 2022
I know this is a topic with facts and some myths. I’d like to get your feedback since I’m a newbie at raising chickens. First of all, we have 3 new layers. Currently, the egg size is small and I know the size will increase with maturity.
The yolks so far have been a light yellow in color. After researching this topic, did you know the bright, almost orange yolk is not any healthier than a light yellow yolk. But, the deep orange yolk does have more vitamins and less cholesterol. In order to get the rich color, I read you have to add foods to their diet, such as, carrots, pumpkin, etc..foods with that pigment color.
I’ve said all of this to ask this question. Do you alter your chickens diet to change the yolk color or personal preference?

All this does is dye the egg yolks, you aren't really improving the quality of the yolk with carrots and pumpkin. Keyword, "pigment", it's like a yolk spray tan. Pumpkin makes eggs taste nasty.
A full formulated feed, and occasional leafy greens will help your girls lay better eggs but they may not necessarily be dark, not all hens translate nutrition into eggs.

I know this is a topic with facts and some myths. I’d like to get your feedback since I’m a newbie at raising chickens. First of all, we have 3 new layers. Currently, the egg size is small and I know the size will increase with maturity.
The yolks so far have been a light yellow in color. After researching this topic, did you know the bright, almost orange yolk is not any healthier than a light yellow yolk. But, the deep orange yolk does have more vitamins and less cholesterol. In order to get the rich color, I read you have to add foods to their diet, such as, carrots, pumpkin, etc..foods with that pigment color.
I’ve said all of this to ask this question. Do you alter your chickens diet to change the yolk color or personal preference?
After Halloween, I pick up unwanted pumpkin decorations and feed them to the flock. Close out or low cost pumpkins from the store works. If you have a church selling pumpkins, they may give you the rotten ones for a donation or just to haul off. The chickens will eat what they want.

No, I don't intentionally alter the diet, but I do seek low cost feed alternatives. The best year was 60 pumpkins from the church for $5 to haul off the leftovers. I made pumpkin bread, pumpkin patties and the flock got their share. We ate well. The Boer pumpkins, flat white ones, have the most meat on them. The orange jackolantern ones went straight to the flock and dogs. Not worth processing during the time of abundance. I froze a bunch for later.

Another good option is crawfish shells after a crawfish boil. I freeze the abundance for later.

I’ve found feeding marigolds darkens the yolks nicely. I haven’t altered the bird‘s diet just for egg color, though. In the end it doesn’t really matter to me.

All this does is dye the egg yolks, you aren't really improving the quality of the yolk with carrots and pumpkin. Keyword, "pigment", it's like a yolk spray tan. Pumpkin makes eggs taste nasty.
A full formulated feed, and occasional leafy greens will help your girls lay better eggs but they may not necessarily be dark, not all hens translate nutrition into eggs.
I did not notice a nasty taste with the pumpkins. The crawfish, if over done, will impart a fishy taste that goes to the dogs. Fish offal and carcasses, shrimp shells and crawfish shells are welcomed by the flock.

All things in moderation and as part of a varied diet.

Thank you for your input. I feel like their feed is full formulated and I do give greens. However, we have a mixed flock so the girls who are laying, aren’t on layer feed. They’re still on grower and I supplement with ground oyster shells at their liking. Maybe when I can switch over to full layer feed, maybe that would make a difference with their eggs?

Thank you for your input. I feel like their feed is full formulated and I do give greens. However, we have a mixed flock so the girls who are laying, aren’t on layer feed. They’re still on grower and I supplement with ground oyster shells at their liking. Maybe when I can switch over to full layer feed, maybe that would make a difference with their eggs?
Actually, the grower feed has better protein and is a bit better for your girls, layer feed just has calcium added and has low protein. What you're doing sounds great! You can feed your girls pumpkin and such, mine like yams, but too much makes the eggs taste funny.
My neighbor gave my some old trout he had in his freezer for the girls, I didn't think and gave it to them all at once. they loved it! but there's not any use for eggs that taste like trout.

1670392901663.png

So, the two on the right are from the grocery store/ "free range". The one on the left is from my 7-month-old EE. She eats a lot of wild bugs, and a very wide variety of healthy snacks in addition to normal all-purpose feed.
Now you've got me curious about the color and I'm tempted to do some experimenting!

I grew barley fodder for my chickens in the winter, and their egg yolks were a nice dark orange color. I think it was because of the fodder greens, but I can't be sure. Age of the chicken and breed may make a big difference. Chickens love the fresh fodder and it's the only greens they get in our Minnesota winter.

For color purposes ONLY, feed the crushed red peppers as a treat. no change in diet

Back
Top Bottom