Egg yolk out of chicken

isaaccanter

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2023
Noticed this afternoon one of my girls wasn't moving much & then this evening went out to check on her & suddenly she opened up her wings a little & out came a egg yoke?? I hope she will start feeling better

Was it just egg yolk or was it a soft shelled or no shelled egg (with just the membrane)? If it was soft shelled or no shelled, but intact, then she may not be getting, or absorbing enough calcium. How old is she and has she laid normally before this? What do you feed, including all treats, and do they have oystershell available for calcium? If it was just yolk then she may have had an egg break inside her. I would give her a calcium citrate +D (citracal) daily, that will help with calcium if she's deficient and it's the best absorbed type, it will also help with contractions if she still needs to expel anything. If she's a standard sized bird then 600-800 mg daily. I would continue the calcium for a couple of weeks, or until she lays a normal egg. If it was just yolk then there may still be egg matter inside which can be a breeding ground for bacteria and infection, so keep an eye on her, make sure she perks up some, if not you may need an antibiotic as well. Trying to lay a shell less or soft egg just by itself can make them feel awful, it's very hard for them to pass, and they often feel much better once it has.
If she's a new layer or a bird just coming back into lay then it could just be a glitch. If it persists even after supplementing calcium then it could be a shell gland malfunction.

Thanks for your reply. Was just egg yolk, she normally lays fine she is a Maran only 5 months old. I noticed she was hunched after still so bought her in & put her in a bowl of water with salts in & she seems fine today but will keep an eye out for her. I need to get more oyster shell, I found they didn't eat it but used to chuck it on the ground now I give em my left over boiled eggs which they like as leave bit of egg in there for them.

If you save your used egg shells, grind them up and mix them with the oystershell, some birds find that more palatable. She may bounce back and be fine now, it could have just been a new layer glitch. If she has another soft shelled egg or appears to be having trouble laying one again, I would start the calcium citrate +D, it helps a lot.

If you save your used egg shells, grind them up and mix them with the oystershell, some birds find that more palatable. She may bounce back and be fine now, it could have just been a new layer glitch. If she has another soft shelled egg or appears to be having trouble laying one again, I would start the calcium citrate +D, it helps a lot.

Thanks for your advice I will do as when I came home this afternoon she is not herself again all hunched up & not wantingto jump up on me to get to the rose leaves. Poor thing

Back
Top Bottom