egg yolk question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hobbley_Farm, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Thanks to the many responses I got from "what breed is this" I have a good Idea what I have now. I have three brown cornish and one ancona. Here is the question. my ancona lays white eggs. Shes' the only white egg layer at the moment. The others are a nice tanish light brown.

I just made a 4 egg omelette. Two with white eggs two with tan eggs. The two tan egg yolks were MUCH MUCH deeper in color. The white eggs were still a darker yellow than store bought...but the tan ones were nearly red they were so yellowy-orange. These ladies are all fed the same. What gives?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    That's is funny. Did the other chickens get more grass or bugs that day? Thats all I can think of [​IMG] I know my chickens yolk will get really super orangy when they are out free ranging all day long. Especially after a rain...they eat lots of worms than [​IMG]

3. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    We have a HUGE area fenced in for them. Maybe 60 X 60. They have access to grass, bugs, mulch (for more bugs), feed, treats from us, scraps from our dinner....you name it. They are a flock and sorta move around the area as one, pecking and scratching. I can't imagine them having a different diet in that respect. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by