egg yolks

I can't seem to find an answer for this, so I'll post it here and others can tell me where to go. I have cracked open two eggs now and find a greenish yolk inside. It doesn't smell bad. I fed my dog the first one and he was fine. I threw out the next one because it was even a darker, more distinct green. That one I didn't smell!

My question is: what is going on? I have never had this occur before.

Feeding hens feed or snacks containing cottonseed oil causes blue/green yolks and also, if your hens have been eating the weed "Shepard's Purse".

Nope. Haven't fed them anything extra or with cottonseed oil, and I don't think there is any shepards purse in my pasture. I'm in Texas and it is hot and dry and nothing is growing! Not even weeds. Oh, I have fed them cantaloupe rinds on occasion, but I don't think that would cause this, esp. since it is from one particular hen that lays darker brown eggs. Haven't narrowed it down yet to which girl, though.

Feeding hens feed or snacks containing cottonseed oil causes blue/green yolks and also, if your hens have been eating the weed "Shepard's Purse".

I have to say, that would freak me out! I've not run into a true "green egg", but I'm thinking it would go right to the dogs or cats. I'm guessing they'd be okay to eat, though? if it's just color contaminant? Could there be a market for green-yolked eggs around Dr Seuss's birthday?
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom