Egg!

room onthebroom

Advocate
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
May 4, 2015
33. N -117.W
My Swedish Blue laid her 1st egg today. What a TOTAL SURPRISE! My calculations say she's only 5mo so we didn't expect an egg for at least another month. We were staring at it & tapping it like a bunch of Neanderthals looking at fire. It was just SO unexpected that we couldn't process what we were looking at. I'm pretty shocked & very excited!
wee.gif

I cant believe how dense I am sometimes. It reminds me of the time one of my kids told me our fish had died. I was crazy-busy & just glanced over at the tank & said, "Don't worry, I'm sure he's just shedding." A few minutes later, when my brain caught up with what my mouth had said, I had the ultimate "Duh!" moment. I cant imagine what I was thinking... Even I know fish don't shed.

I'm also thinking this might be a genetic thing. Last night when I told my dad that we got a duck egg, he was as shocked as we were & said, "Where did it come from?" I could hardly stop laughing as I told him that we were pretty sure it came out of the ducks butt. Luckily my dad has a good sense of humor.

P.S. Our hard working girl laid another egg today, but this time we were all professional about it, "Look, a duck egg." like as if we'd been doing this for years. Oh how far we can evolve in 24hrs.
smile.png

lau.gif
gig.gif
Whew, stop it! You're killing me. First the neanderthal remark and now this! I read these when I'm being bad at work. I made a huge "pfffftttt" raspberry sound when I tried to hold in a laugh.

Edit: Oops, forgot to say that I'm very impressed with your professionalism!!

2nd edit: Gorgeous duck!

Thank you for acknowledging my newly acquired professionalism. I'm going to try to apply this new talent to other areas of my life ... I need all the professional help I can get. Hahaha!
smile.png

Congrats Debs Flock on your girls laying & LadyIsadora being able to enjoy yours again! I think what you guys have is contagious... Its called Obsessive Eggalovitis Disorder & I'm pretty sure I have it now too.
smile.png

Its been over a month since Mako laid her 1st egg, but its been way too hot here to turn on the stove (cold cereal for breakfast, lunch & dinner anyone?) It finally cooled down a bit this week & the first thing we did was fry up some duck eggs for breakfast. I'm surprised how similar they are to chicken eggs. I admit I haven't eaten chicken eggs in a couple months either, so maybe I forgot what they taste like, but the only difference I noticed was that the shells are a lot harder & the whites are a bit thicker. What differences have you guys noticed between duck & chicken eggs?

What an economical little girl! <3 And that fish story brought up a bad memory of mine - my mom was an elementary school teacher, so of course we had all sorts of critters coming in and out of our home when summer vacation rolled around and she brought back the class pet du'jour. One year it was a hermit crab. Funny thing about hermit crabs; they shed. My poor mother found s dessicated little crab lump in the terrarium one day, thought it had died and tossed the whole thing out!

I know that is not funny.... BUT THAT IS SO FUNNY!!! I wont even tell you about the poor little guys I've killed on accident. Suffice it to say, its not easy being the adult in the house... Most days I'm sure I'm not qualified for the job.

Back
Top Bottom