Eggbound chicken or something else?

cluckey

Songster
6 Years
Sep 17, 2014
I have a hen who in every way is acting eggbound. Swollen belly, waddles when she walks, not laying. I have done the baths with Epsom salts for over a week. Hasnt helped. I stuck my finger in there and its clear, cant feel an egg. When i massage her belly i feel two hard eggs in there but shes not passing them. Its now been several weeks and shes not better. Anyone have this happen? What can i do? Still eats and drinks and moves around with the flock. Rooster still mates with her.

Attachments

• 20180815_192821.jpg
    20180815_192821.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180815_192829.jpg
    20180815_192829.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 7
Her lower belly is very swollen, and from the other symptoms, it sounds as though she may have salpingitis, internal laying, and possibly lash eggs in her belly. Ascites could also be present. She probably is getting very uncomfortable, and at some point, you may want to consider putting her down. As long as she hangs with her flock and eats, I would just wait and watch her behavior. I have had a few linger for awhile, and then suddenly go down and the flock has started pecking them.It can be very informative to open the abdomen after she goes, just to see what was in there. Many do necropsies at home and post pictures here for advice on what is seen. These types of reproductive illnesses are very common in older hens. So sorry.

That is not good news. She is uncomfortable but still out and about and gets up and down in the coop ok. If she turns for the worse i will cull her and open her up. I was hopingbitd be something else woth an easy fix. She is only 2 years old and very sweet, i hate to see her go

Back
Top Bottom