HELP!! Very swollen and bloated eggbound hen, what else can we do for her?

I had this happen many years ago to one of my hens and when I did her necropsy it turned out that there was a hole in her oviduct and the eggs I was feeling were located in her body cavity, hence the membrane when feeling for stuck eggs and her still being able to poop.
Thank you for sharing this.
If it's internally laid eggs or what your hen had(or if there is a difference), there's no way I can get the eggs out.
This morning she acts the same. I'll have her out with the others this afternoon.

Thank you for sharing this.
If it's internally laid eggs or what your hen had(or if there is a difference), there's no way I can get the eggs out.
This morning she acts the same. I'll have her out with the others this afternoon.
Unfortunately no, there's no way to get the egg(s) out or material that has entered the abdomen without expensive and risky surgery.

Material like a whole egg, egg yolks (Ovum/Ovary), lash eggs (Salpingitis), etc., can be found in the abdomen either through reverse Peristalsis or sometimes Ovum could be released and not go in the Infundibulum. Sometimes there may be a rupture or something else go wrong and material ends up there too. The reproductive system is "open" meaning it's not completely closed - the Infundibulum actually moves to surround an Ovum that is being released so there is an opening there in which material/eggs can "fall" or go between and enter the abdomen (Coelomic Cavity).

I'm sorry that you're dealing with this. Reproductive problems can be very common, but it's also sad and frustrating to see.

If she's acting o.k. (ish) and can manage to get around/eat/drink, etc. then I'd let her with her flock. Watch to make sure she's not getting picked on.

1712254017805.png

Photo Reference

1712254631785.png

Photo Reference

Thank you for the update.

My hen also spent a few more weeks enjoying her life with the flock until she had problems walking and it became obvious she was in pain.

Back
Top Bottom