1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggbound chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by morganfamily6, Dec 17, 2016.

1. morganfamily6

morganfamily6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2016
    About 2 weeks ago I rescued these chickens from a battery farm chicken rescue center. Now one of them is very ill and i can feel an egg is stuck also where her food stores it is very full. I've given her smashed up calcium tablets and put hot water in it so i could feed it to her. I hope that works but please help for anymore tips and things on what to do. Thanks

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Dip her butt area in a sink or tub filled with warm water. This helps to soothe the chicken and push the egg out. We used to have a chicken that got egg bound a lot, we found out that when we gave her some electrolytes in her water, she would perk up, get excited, and out popped the egg! So, perhaps give her some electrolytes in her water. Best of luck! ;)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Agree with above.

Good for you,for rescuing those poor girls.[​IMG]

4. morganfamily6

morganfamily6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2016
    thanks very much shes a lot better now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by