Eggbound! Help me get it out! Already been to VET!

justfowl

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 13, 2016
Hello fellow chicken folk. I am desperately looking for advice from seasoned chicken keepers, especially those who really know the anatomy of a hen. My 4 year old Americauna hen, Jolene is eggbound. It feels as though she has 2 eggs in the oviduct. It is day 3. I have tried multiple Epsom salt baths, KY jelly in the vent, oral olive oil, yogurt to help her eat and with yummy issues. I began with tums then switched to liquid calcium, she was given subcutaneous fluids at vet and is on anti-inflammatory medicine. All to no avail. When I feel in the outside, it seems like 2 eggs are side by side. But when I feel into her ve t, there is a membrane there so I cannot puncture the egg. Also the egg is not visible. Also I don't want to risk the shells cutting her up or the yolk getting in there and making her sick. How do I move this egg into the correct position. And would cracking it be deadly? She's miserable and it feels quite large. Thanks in advance. We really love her. 💘

Attachments

• 20210517_155018.jpg
    20210517_155018.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 15
I am sorry about your hen. Has she been laying eggs regularly up till now? Her upright position looks like pictures of hens with internal laying or salpingitis. Did the vet do an xray? Have you given her calcium today? The vet would be best to try and extract an egg. Could you be feeling lash egg material?

She wasn't given an xray. The vet was after hours emergency and quite pricey just to get in the door. She was given oxytocin to get contractions going and calcium drops which I took home and am continuing. We have another aply with a vet who is more experienced with eggbound hens. But she's not in until tomorrow. I don't know if she'll make it that long although she is fighting hard.

And yes she had been laying prior to this but she's always had fragile shells and misshapen eggs. She laysbinfrquently but then 2 at a time sometimes. She rarely lays at all the past year and a half or so. I always provide oyster shells in the run and only have this issue with her. I have given her tums in the past which seemed to help. She doesn't seem to gonfor the oyster shells.

And yes she had been laying prior to this but she's always had fragile shells and misshapen eggs. She laysbinfrquently but then 2 at a time sometimes. She rarely lays at all the past year and a half or so. I always provide oyster shells in the run and only have this issue with her. I have given her tums in the past which seemed to help. She doesn't seem to gonfor the oyster shells.
:hugsHope your girl makes it! She's so pretty!

It feels as though she has 2 eggs in the oviduct. It is day 3.

When I feel in the outside, it seems like 2 eggs are side by side. But when I feel into her ve t, there is a membrane there so I cannot puncture the egg. Also the egg is not visible.

She laysbinfrquently but then 2 at a time sometimes. She rarely lays at all the past year and a half or so.
I agree with @Eggcessive it sounds like she's laying internally, has lash eggs in the abdomen or similar. .
I'm sorry about your hen.

Back
Top Bottom