Eggbound hen, don't feel an egg, need advice

If they have fluid in their bellies it will continue to build and put pressure on the heart and lungs which will eventually kill them. Below is just such an example.

-Kathy

Last edited:
She is not doing very well today, not eating, not drinking. She has stopped "contracting". I managed to get a little yogurt & honey with a drop of polyvisol in it in her. Have been trying to keep getting water in her. My husband went to Farm & Fleet for some penicillin. I will try that as a last ditch effort. Not looking good for her.

you say you gave her a bath, did you use epsom salts in it?... i read of someone in a similar situation and they said a warm (chicken temp) bath up to their chests with epsom salts mixed in and you can put a towel over the top so they completely relax into it and let her relax for approx 20 mins...following this you can also give epsom salts to drink and some veg oil - to lubricate and flush her out. whilst she is still relaxed from the bath use lubricant around and inside her vent (don't have to go high and be careful in case there is an egg) the combination of all this should hopefully allow things to pass. good luck and please update x

An egg that is stuck is very easy to feel if you stick your finger in their vent. Another bath will probably kill this hen.

-Kathy

We decided to put her out of her misery today. She was just getting weaker & weaker, still "contracting". I will do an autopsy this weekend to find out what was really going on.
Thanks all for the advice, wish there was something I could've done to save her, but at least her suffering is over.

We decided to put her out of her misery today. She was just getting weaker & weaker, still "contracting". I will do an autopsy this weekend to find out what was really going on.
Thanks all for the advice, wish there was something I could've done to save her, but at least her suffering is over.
Sorry for your loss. Let us know what you find in the necropsy.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom